Original The Crow Director Continues Criticizing Bill Skarsgård Remake

Forum 1 month ago

Original The Crow Director Continues Criticizing Bill Skarsgård Remake

Alex Proyas, the director behind 1994’s Brandon Lee-led The Crow, once again shared his thoughts on the upcoming remake starring Bill Skarsgård. His comments came after the first trailer received massive dislikes on YouTube.

On Facebook, sharing an article from CBR, the director elaborated on his distaste over the said film reboot of the original classic.

“I really don’t get any joy from seeing negativity about any fellow filmmakers work. And I’m certain the cast and crew really had all good intentions, as we all do on any film. So it pains me to say any more on this topic, but I think the fan’s response speaks volumes. [The Crow] is not just a movie. Brandon Lee died making it, and it was finished as a testament to his lost brilliance and tragic loss. It is his legacy. That’s how it should remain,” said Proyas.

Reactions have been divisive since first-look images and the trailer first came out, with some criticizing Skarsgård’s look and the decision to make a reboot in general. On the other hand, some are pretty optimistic about the remake. As of writing, the trailer has over 60,000 likes on YouTube.

Alex Proyas thinks The Crow should not be remade

This isn’t the first time the director has shared his opinion about reboot plans. Back in 2017, Proyas stated that The Crow isn’t a movie worth “remaking,” as it was the late actor’s movie — and that it should remain Lee’s film.

“. . . the notion of “rebooting” this story, and the original character — a character Brandon gave life to at too high a cost — seems wrong to me,” Proyas wrote in a 2017 Facebook post.

Just last month, the director shared an image from the Rupert Sanders-helmed remake and accompanied it with the caption, “Eric Draven’s having a bad hair day. Next reboot thanks.”

The audience’s reactions to the remake had been geared toward the heavily criticized new look of Eric Draven, a character first brought to life by Lee. The original film, released nearly 30 years ago, served as Lee’s swan song. The actor was accidentally shot by a firearm malfunction during filming, unfortunately causing his death. He was 28.

Who else will star in The Crow remake?

Apart from Skarsgård in the lead role, the remake will also star FKA Twigs, Danny Huston, Laura Birn, Sami Bouajila, and Jordan Bolger.

The synopsis reads: “Soulmates Eric Draven and Shelly Webster are brutally murdered when the demons of her dark past catch up with them. Given the chance to save his true love by sacrificing himself, Eric sets out to seek merciless revenge on their killers, traversing the worlds of the living and the dead to put the wrong things right.”

The Crow reboot is scheduled for theatrical release on June 7.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie
Forum | 1 day ago

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie

Verydarkman Continues to Drag Reno Omokri, Accuses His Brother Of R3ping Teenage Girl
Forum | 4 days ago

Verydarkman Continues to Drag Reno Omokri, Accuses His Brother Of R3ping Teenage Girl

Portable Continues To Drag His Wife Over Her Birthday Post
Forum | 6 days ago

Portable Continues To Drag His Wife Over Her Birthday Post