Yakubu Gowon’s War Statement Can Ignite Crisis – Igbo Leader Demands Apology

Forum 1 month ago

Yakubu Gowon’s War Statement Can Ignite Crisis – Igbo Leader Demands Apology

A former governorship candidate of Great Nigeria People’s Party, GNPP, in Abia State, Charles Okechukwu Okereke has advised former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon to immediately apologize to the Igbo nation and Nigerians in general for his recent statement at the Aso Rock Villa.

The apology, he said, would calm the minds of the people who, according to Okereke, felt offended by the statement attributed to Gowon.

The former Head of State was recently quoted as saying that “I know and if I can remember, when I was fighting the war, I was told I was too slow and probably Nigeria cannot make it and that we should seek discussion. Well, did we do it or not?”

But speaking to DAILY POST in Umuahia on Wednesday, the former governorship candidate advised Gen. Gowon, as an elder statement, to refrain from making statements that may make Ndigbo and other Nigerians to start remembering the ugly war episodes of the past.

Okereke, who said that Nigerians were going through terrible economic hardship, pointed out that uncomplimentary words from a highly placed citizen like Gowon could cause more outrage.

He said that it was wrong for Gowon to compare his military administration with President Bola Tinubu, according to Okereke, Gowon’s decision to create a 12-state structure instead of implementing an agreement he signed with Odumegwu Ojukwu before the civil war, was responsible for the crises the nation was still facing today.

“Why is he comparing himself with Tinubu? He is supposed to retire. He should not remind us of what has been forgotten. He owes Ndigbo and Nigerians an apology and he should do that now.

“There is no comparison between Gowon’s military junta and Tinubu’s civilian administration. His 3Rs is not true. When he visited us at Government College after the war, he spoke from an armored car; is Tinubu speaking from an armored car? So why the comparison?”
He queried.

Okereke, who said that the ongoing moves to amend the Nigerian constitution were a pointer that many things were wrong with the Nigeria General Gowon bequeathed to his predecessors in office, said that it was wrong for Gowon to say that Nigerians who were hungry, do not really understand the problem underground.

The “All Hail Biafra” anthem composer made it clear that the military administration of Gen. Gowon failed to reconcile Nigerians and was not qualified to advise a civilian administration.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos
Forum | 1 day ago

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 2 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Box Office Results: Civil War Fends Off Competition
Forum | 4 days ago

Box Office Results: Civil War Fends Off Competition

N/Assembly Caucus Insists On Akume As APC Leader In Benue
Forum | 1 week ago

N/Assembly Caucus Insists On Akume As APC Leader In Benue