Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

Forum 1 week ago

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

The family members of Michael Ajayi, a 38-year-old transporter who lost his life in a confrontation between Nigerian Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) members and an accused land grabber, Mr. Abiodun Ishola Ejigbadero, in Iyana-Ipaja, are calling for justice.

Waploaded reports that Michael Ajayi who was on fasting and prayer decided to step out for fresh air when he was shot at Iyana-Ipaja in the Alimosho Local government area of Lagos State.

Ejigbadero was on April 16, 2024, alleged to have led some thugs to attack members of the Nigerian Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), Iyana-Ipaja branch over the control of the bus terminus located in the area.

A source told Waploaded that the Chairman of Alimosho LCDA, Hon Sulaiman Jelili withdrew the collection of the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) collection contract from Ejigbadero and gave it to another person.

Not satisfied, Ejigbadero led thugs to displace the new contract owner, and in the process, shot Ajayi to death. Several other persons who received gunshot wounds are still being treated in various hospitals in the area.

The police were alleged to have arrested some people in the area, including Jelili the council chairman, the Chairman of NURTW, Iyana-Ipaja branch, Adedayo Omotolani, Ejigbadero and several others for preliminary investigations.

They were released on Thursday April 18, 2024.

However, one of the late Ajayi's family members told Waploaded that all efforts to rescue their son who was shot in the mayhem proved abortive as he ended up dying.

The family said; "Michael was an easygoing person, he didn't fight or cause trouble. He always avoided trouble.

"That fateful day, he was on prayer and fasting and he just wanted to step out to get fresh air in the evening when he met them there causing trouble and he ended up getting shot. All efforts to rescue him proved abortive and he ended up dying. He was just an innocent one looking for what to eat.

"Our mother is very old, and this boy has always been the one celebrating her birthday every year. He would tell his siblings not to worry and he would take charge. Now that he is gone, what do you want my mother to do?

"We want justice over his death so that he won't die in vain. These people that are killing people for fun should be brought to book. The government should not be quiet on this matter. We don't know who will be the next victim.

"We know that God is the God of vengeance but at least he is going to use a human being.

"We never believe that anyone will just kill him like that for no reason. We want to see the person brought to book and we want government to prove that there is still hope for the masses to get judgement."

Efforts by Waploaded to speak with Ejigbadero proves abortive.

Meanwhile, in an interview he granted earlier with Guardians, he denied involving in the incident. He stated that he was at the House of Assembly to submit petition, while he got information that the boys had started rioting.

He said: "The whole land in the area belongs to my father and we have a court judgment to back it up. Because of this, they are ganging up against me.

"There is a place where we have been collecting dues for more than 10 years. We collect the money and use it to help the people in the town. This is because they need the money to take care of themselves.

"The council chairman has been attacking me because I am supporting Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, while they are followers of Rauf Aregbesola. Since then, he has taken almost all my jobs.

"I am only collecting royalties on my father's land. I am not a tout but into Real Estate."

"So, I have no knowledge about the killing of Michael. I don't have a gun and didn't buy any for anyone," he added.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Uzoho relishes superb display against Man United at Old Trafford
Forum | 2 days ago

Uzoho relishes superb display against Man United at Old Trafford

75-year old Man Arrested For Defiling 8-year-old Girl In Anambra
Forum | 2 days ago

75-year old Man Arrested For Defiling 8-year-old Girl In Anambra

Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part Three Trailer for Tomorrowverse Finale
Forum | 3 days ago

Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part Three Trailer for Tomorrowverse Finale

2024 Will Be Tough Year for Afrobeat. Apart From BurnaBoy and Davido, Others Are in Trouble - Paul O
Forum | 4 days ago

2024 Will Be Tough Year for Afrobeat. Apart From BurnaBoy and Davido, Others Are in Trouble - Paul O