EPL: Carragher names manager that should replace Klopp at Liverpool

Forum 2 months ago

EPL: Carragher names manager that should replace Klopp at Liverpool

Liverpool legend, Jamie Carragher has said former midfielder, Xabi Alonso, is the best candidate to replace Jurgen Klopp at the club.

Klopp announced last month that he was leaving at the end of this season.

Since his confirmation, many coaches have been linked with the Anfield hotseat.

Carragher, speaking on Monday Night Football, believes Alonso would be a natural successor to Klopp having impressed with Bayer Leverkusen this season.

He however noted Leverkusen’s playing style under Alonso is more similar to Manchester City’s than Liverpool’s.

“Liverpool are a more direct team, they go faster, they use counter-attacks more,” Carragher said.

“Bayer Leverkusen, this team and maybe his influence, is more Pep Guardiola[than Klopp]. It’s more Manchester City – because he’s been his manager.

“But if Xabi Alonso was to become the Liverpool manager, which I think he will, I actually feel Liverpool have been quite fortunate that Jürgen Klopp has left at this time, is moving on, and the time for Xabi Alonso to step in is pretty perfect with the job that he’s doing.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: Why I snubbed Man City for Arsenal – Declan Rice

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement
Forum | 1 hour ago

EPL: Alan Pardew advises Man Utd on manager to appoint as Ten Hag’s replacement

EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star
Forum | 9 hours ago

EPL: Micah Richards expresses sympathy for Liverpool star

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season
Forum | 9 hours ago

EPL: Neville names three signing Chelsea should make to compete for title next season