AFCON: Ex-Super Eagles coach, Rohr praises 5 players after Ivory Coast clash

Forum 3 months ago

AFCON: Ex-Super Eagles coach, Rohr praises 5 players after Ivory Coast clash

Former Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr has named five Super Eagles players that impressed him as Jose Peseiro’s men defeated Ivory Coast 1-0 in their second Group A tie on Thursday evening at the ongoing 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON).

Recall that Nigeria defeated hosts Ivory Coast in front of their supporters at the Alassane Ouattara Stadium, thanks to William Troost-Ekong’s penalty goal.

Reacting, Rohr said he was happy with the Super Eagles’ display against Ivory Coast, praising the likes of Alex Iwobi, Samuel Chukwueze, Frank Onyeka, Ademola Lookman and Victor Osimhen.

Speaking to Osasu Obayiuwana, Rohr said: “In the midfield Alex Iwobi did very well with Onyeka. On both sides, Chukwueze and Lookman came back to help and could be in a good offensive situation like wingers when Nigeria had the ball.

“It is a very good result. I’m happy for my former players because there had been so many criticisms in the past but they answered with this big match against the host country.

“I enjoyed the game of Chukwueze also, he deserves to start the match and of course Osimhen is always able to score a goal.”

Nigeria’s next AFCON game is against Guinea-Bissau on Monday.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos
Forum | 1 day ago

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

Rob Liefeld Praises Deadpool & Wolverine Action Scenes: ‘Best Action Since Winter Soldier’
Forum | 2 days ago

Rob Liefeld Praises Deadpool & Wolverine Action Scenes: ‘Best Action Since Winter Soldier’

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi
Forum | 2 days ago

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United
Forum | 3 days ago

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United