I’m still Nigeria’s most successful, decorated footballer – Mikel Obi

Forum 5 months ago

I’m still Nigeria’s most successful, decorated footballer – Mikel Obi

Chelsea and Super Eagles legend, John Mikel Obi has bragged that he is “still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria”.

He said despite all his achievements he was never ranked number 8 in the world by the Ballon d’Or like Nigerian youngster, Victor Osimhen.

Speaking in the latest episode of his podcast, The Obi One, which had Osimhen as a guest, Mikel said the Napoli striker has raised the bar high for Nigerian footballers.

He said, “I am still the most successful and decorated football player in Nigeria. But he [Victor Osimhen] got an award that I never got. He was ranked number 8 in the world by Ballon d’Or. That’s absolutely amazing. I must say congratulations. The season you had, it was fantastic and I never got to that stage. You’ve raised the bar so high.”

Responding, Osimhen reckoned that Mikel “is more than a legend” to many Nigerian footballers, adding that the former Super Eagles captain inspired him and others on and off the pitch.

On his Ballon d’Or success, the Napoli striker said “I just kept on doing my job, doing what I love so much and God just crowned my efforts.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0
Forum | 9 hours ago

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0

Peter Obi And I Never Believed in Labour Party Ideologies — Doyin Okupe
Forum | 4 days ago

Peter Obi And I Never Believed in Labour Party Ideologies — Doyin Okupe

EFCC Arrests Sirika Over N8bn Nigeria Air Fraud
Forum | 4 days ago

EFCC Arrests Sirika Over N8bn Nigeria Air Fraud