Ignore statement announcing oro rites, Lagos tells residents

Forum 9 months ago

Ignore statement announcing oro rites, Lagos tells residents

The Lagos State Government has told residents to disregard a viral notice announcing a planned “land cleansing ritual” or “oro traditional rites” in parts of the state.

The unsigned notice said “all females and non-indigenes are advised to keep off and stay indoors,” between 12am and 5.30am on Thursday and Friday.

It said the land cleansing ritual had been scheduled to hold in 16 communities and their environs across the state

Some of the communities named are Ijora-Badiya, Amuwo Odofin, Ojota, Ikorodu, and Somolu-Bariga.

Also mentioned were Igbobi-Sabe land, Ojodu-Isheri, Isolo-Okota-Ilasamaja, Ejigbo-Idimu, Isheri-Ijegun, Ikotun-Igando, Iba land, Mushin-Odi Olowo, Lawanson-Itire and Sangotedo.

However, speaking with The PUNCH at Alausa, Ikeja on Thursday, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s Chief Press Secretary, Gboyega Akosile, dismissed the notice, saying it should be disregarded by residents.

“This is not even what the government should be reacting to. It doesn’t make sense. What is the meaning of ‘owners of the land want to do rituals’? People should please disregard it,” Akosile said.

Meanwhile, our correspondent observed that the composition of the viral notice was similar to the one circulated a few days before the March 18 governorship election in the state.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Yemi Alade fumes as she queries Lagos State government over recent series of house demolitions
Forum | 17 hours ago

Yemi Alade fumes as she queries Lagos State government over recent series of house demolitions

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
Forum | 1 day ago

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary

Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba admission forms, 2024/2025
Forum | 2 days ago

Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Idi Araba admission forms, 2024/2025

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala
Forum | 2 days ago

‘My dad is from Nigeria, always tells me about culture, food’ – Germany’s Jamal Musiala