Ekiti albinos raise the alarm over deaths from skin cancer

Forum 10 months ago

Ekiti albinos raise the alarm over deaths from skin cancer

The Association of Persons with Albinism, Ekiti State, has raised alarm over the rising cases of skin cancer and deaths from it among members, urging government, groups and well-meaning citizens to come to their rescue.

Chairman of the association, Mr Johnson Oniya, said, “Skin cancer is a deadly ailment disturbing Persons With Albinism in the sub-Saharan region of Africa due to the high intensity of sun.”

He lamented that members could not afford the high cost of preventing skin cancer.

Albinism group seeks action against discrimination

Oniya, who spoke in Ado Ekiti on Saturday at a press conference to commemorate the 2023 International Albinism Awareness Day with the theme, ‘Inclusion is Strength’, said his members could not celebrate the occasion on June 13 as they were mourning loss of members to skin cancer.

He said, “The sun emits ultra violet rays that cannot be withstood by the skin of PWAs due to low or lack of melanin. Skin cancer had claimed the lives of two of our great leaders in Ekiti albinism community.

“The demise of the former chairman of this association, Pastor Alufa Ola and Mrs Bola Salami is making skin cancer a serious threat to the PWAs in Ekiti state.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer, Ejimakor Raises Alarm Over Secret Recording Of Conversations With Detained IPOB Leader By DSS Agents
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer, Ejimakor Raises Alarm Over Secret Recording Of Conversations With Detained IPOB Leader By DSS Agents

Game of Thrones Creators Reveal Favorite Deaths in Series
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Game of Thrones Creators Reveal Favorite Deaths in Series

Mide Martin Bullying Made Me Start Bleaching My Skin – Actress Habibat Jinad
Forum | 4 weeks ago

Mide Martin Bullying Made Me Start Bleaching My Skin – Actress Habibat Jinad

Stop Questioning Deaths Of Nollywood Movie Stars - Rita Edochie
Forum | 1 month ago

Stop Questioning Deaths Of Nollywood Movie Stars - Rita Edochie