Martin Odegaard: I've tried not to watch Erling Haaland celebrate

Forum 10 months ago

Martin Odegaard: I've tried not to watch Erling Haaland celebrate

Martin Odegaard has admitted Arsenal's defeat to Manchester City in the Premier League title race still "stings" and that he's avoided watching the celebrations of international team-mate Erling Haaland.

The Gunners captain was in outstanding form for much of the 2022/23 campaign, scoring 15 goals and contributing seven assists from midfield.

But despite Odegaard's individual contributions - as well as brilliant seasons from Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Martinelli, William Saliba and others - Arsenal were unable to sustain their winning run and eventually succumbed to the relentless winning machine that is Manchester City.

Pep Guardiola's side added FA Cup and Champions League glory to complete a famous treble, though Odegaard has admitted while on international duty with Norway that he's tried to avoid watching City, and specifically his team-mate Haaland, celebrate their accomplishments.

"I've tried not to see so much of that stuff there, because it still stings," Odegaard said.

"I try not to think too much about it. Even though we delivered a very good season for a long time, I am left with a sour feeling."

Arsenal's reaction to losing out in the Premier League title race has been to back Mikel Arteta in the transfer market. Though they're yet to get a deal over the line for Declan Rice, the club have made their first move for West Ham's captain and have seen a bid worth £90m turned down.

90min understands an improved offer will be lodged, though Arsenal must be wary of any potential deal being hijacked by Manchester City or Chelsea - both have serious interest in Rice and the financial firepower to blow any deal offered by the Gunners out of the water.

What Arsenal can offer next season is Champions League football; the first time that's been on offer at the Emirates Stadium since the 2016/17 season.

Odegaard will first hope to steer Norway to two wins in their upcoming Euro 2024 qualifiers against Scotland and Cyprus - they will also call upon the goalscoring prowess of Haaland to win their first matches of this qualification cycle.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
Forum | 2 days ago

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary

UCL: He hunted Odegaard like a dog – Muller names player that gave Bayern belief
Forum | 4 days ago

UCL: He hunted Odegaard like a dog – Muller names player that gave Bayern belief

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0
Forum | 1 week ago

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0

Megan Thee Stallion Sued For Allegedly Forcing Cameraman Watch S3xual Act
Forum | 1 week ago

Megan Thee Stallion Sued For Allegedly Forcing Cameraman Watch S3xual Act