Former AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi dies aged 86

Forum 10 months ago

Former AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi dies aged 86

Former AC Milan owner and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has died aged 86 following a two-year battle with myelomonocytic leukaemia.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/bca53c8ff22fa17a8e1157f8254e89e2.jpg

Berlusconi purchased I Rossoneri in 1986 and quickly catapulted the club back to the top of the European game.

In signing Dutch trio Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard and hiring Arrigo Sacchi and then Fabio Capello as managers, Berlusconi would help build a team which dominated the European Cup in the late 80s and early 90s.

During that trophy-laden period, Milan won three European Cups/UEFA Champions Leagues, four Serie A titles and two Intercontinental Cups.

The club also, during Capello's tenure as manager, would go on an astonishing 58 game unbeaten run between 1991 and 1993, earning the nickname 'Gli invinibili' for their achievements.

Overall I Rossoneri would win 29 trophies, including five European Cups, while Berlusconi was the club's owner and president before he eventually sold the club to Rossoneri Sport Luxembourg in 2017 for a reported €740m.

After selling Milan, Berlusconi remained in football, purchasing Monza in 2018 and helping them earn promotions from Serie C all the way up to Serie A, where they remain to this day having enjoyed a successful 2022/23 season.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Passenger Dies As Vehicle Rams Into Stationary Truck In Anambra
Forum | 1 day ago

Passenger Dies As Vehicle Rams Into Stationary Truck In Anambra

Abia APC’s Chieftain Atuonu Collapses, Dies In Church During Service
Forum | 3 days ago

Abia APC’s Chieftain Atuonu Collapses, Dies In Church During Service

Serie A: Inter Milan defeat AC Milan to clinch 20th title
Forum | 1 week ago

Serie A: Inter Milan defeat AC Milan to clinch 20th title

Man Dies After His Wife Forced Him To Undergo A Surgery In India To Stop Him From Snoring
Forum | 1 week ago

Man Dies After His Wife Forced Him To Undergo A Surgery In India To Stop Him From Snoring