Paul Mitchell interest mounts as sporting director confirms Monaco departure

Forum 1 year ago

Paul Mitchell interest mounts as sporting director confirms Monaco departure

Paul Mitchell is ready to return to the Premier League this summer after confirming his decision to leave his role as Monaco's sporting director, and 90min understands a number of clubs have already shown an interest.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/40f6a9a6b08c3f473eb17a5f321a4ff3.jpg

Mitchell, 41, has been with Monaco since 2020, joining after two years with RB Leipzig as their Head of Recruitment and Development. Prior to that, he worked alongside Mauricio Pochettino at both Southampton and Tottenham.

His current deal is due to run until 2024, but he has now confirmed he is leaving his role this summer - as 90min revealed in February.

"It was a very difficult decision, I have loved my experience at this club. I have always felt a lot of support from president Dmitry Rybolovlev and the Principality," he told local publication Nice-Matin.

"We had several discussions about the possibility of changing roles within the club and extending my contract. I am very grateful to the president for trusting me. We have built a relationship based on transparency and honesty.

"But I have spent a lot of time away from home and my loved ones in recent years. I feel that the mission I had, which was to rebuild the sports project, has been fulfilled."

Mitchell won't be leaving until the end of the season, but 90min understands that interest in landing one of English football's most highly-regarded recruiters is mounting.

Sources have confirmed to 90min that Liverpool have shown an interest, while Manchester United have a long-standing appreciation of him, and he remains an option being considered by the club's current hierarchy. He is also believed to have been discussed by at least one of the club's potential new owners - Sir Jim Ratcliffe.

Mitchell was also Chelsea's shortlist for their new recruitment team but the Blues have instead opted for other options, including Brighton's Paul Winstanley.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Clean Air: The Old Guard 2 Director to Helm NASCAR Rom-Com Movie Produced by Will Smith
Forum | 1 day ago

Clean Air: The Old Guard 2 Director to Helm NASCAR Rom-Com Movie Produced by Will Smith

Jemima Osunde Reacts After Trolls Slammed Her for Defending Pastor Paul Enenche
Forum | 2 days ago

Jemima Osunde Reacts After Trolls Slammed Her for Defending Pastor Paul Enenche

Cute Video From Paul Okoye’s Reunion With Ex-wife on Son’s Birthday Melts Hearts
Forum | 2 days ago

Cute Video From Paul Okoye’s Reunion With Ex-wife on Son’s Birthday Melts Hearts

Frankenstein: Guillermo del Toro Confirms Respected Horror Actor Has ‘Pivotal Cameo’ in Movie
Forum | 2 days ago

Frankenstein: Guillermo del Toro Confirms Respected Horror Actor Has ‘Pivotal Cameo’ in Movie