Raphael Varane discusses burgeoning Lisandro Martinez partnership

Forum 1 year ago

Raphael Varane discusses burgeoning Lisandro Martinez partnership

Manchester United centre-back Raphael Varane has revealed that he and new signing Lisandro Martinez talked each other through Monday night’s win over Liverpool, with the latter in particular hailed for his commanding performance after a tough start to the season.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e93962c9fb749234fe5c48bdc35e0924.jpg

Martinez’s height had been identified as a potential weakness upon his summer arrival from Ajax and he was later physically bullied in the humiliating defeat to Brentford.

But the Argentine repaid the faith of manager Erik ten Hag against Liverpool, partnered with Varane for the first time after club captain Harry Maguire was dropped to the bench.

“We worked a lot this week to be tactically ready…and before and during the game we motivated each other, so it was good and I really enjoyed it,” Varane told Sky Sports.

“It’s never easy to come to the Premier League. It’s a special league with a lot of intensity and [Martinez] really showed his qualities. He brought his determination to the team.”

Martinez personified the difference in United’s performance against Liverpool and Varane put it down to the way the team approached the game.

“I think it’s the mentality,” the Frenchman said. “We started the game with the fighting spirit and determination to win duels and be sharp on the pitch. I think with this mentality we’ll build confidence.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
 Transfer: Crystal Palace join Raphael Onyedika chase
Forum | 1 week ago

Transfer: Crystal Palace join Raphael Onyedika chase

Rebecca Ferguson Discusses Mission: Impossible Exit: ‘It Needs to Be Worth It’
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Rebecca Ferguson Discusses Mission: Impossible Exit: ‘It Needs to Be Worth It’

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Ewan McGregor Discusses His Future in the Star Wars Franchise
Forum | 1 month ago

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Ewan McGregor Discusses His Future in the Star Wars Franchise