Tottenham defender Doherty feels back to his best under Conte

Forum 2 years ago

Tottenham defender Doherty feels back to his best under Conte

Tottenham defender Matt Doherty feels back to his best under manager Antonio Conte.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/e3411472cc1730201e8da9ed98280bbb.jpeg

With Conte, Doherty is now starting to feel at home on the pitch. Five successive Premier League starts. Four wins. A goal, three assists.

"I've just managed to hit the form that I was in at Wolves," says Doherty to the Daily Mail. "I feel really good on the pitch and things are going really well. That has just come with game-time, the manager trusting in you and, obviously, the formation helps a lot."

Conte teams play with wing-backs. And he wants those wing-backs to attack. That plays to Doherty's strengths. But, even so, it's taken a while to earn the manager's trust.

"It's just happening now where I feel I've gained his trust," says Doherty. "Even when we lost to United, lost to Middlesbrough, I wasn't taken out. I'm able to repay him and help the team set up goals and win games.

"There were times that I played for him and was in and out and then against Leeds [when he scored the opener and set up another in a 4-0 win] I kind of nailed it down and have been in ever since."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nnadozie wins best goalkeeper award in France
Forum | 2 days ago

Nnadozie wins best goalkeeper award in France

The Very Best Sports Reality TV Shows
Forum | 2 days ago

The Very Best Sports Reality TV Shows

EPL: Why Tottenham lost 3-2 to Arsenal – Postecoglou
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: Why Tottenham lost 3-2 to Arsenal – Postecoglou