Watford defender Troost-Ekong 'honoured' to captain Nigeria at AFCON

Forum 2 years ago

Watford defender Troost-Ekong 'honoured' to captain Nigeria at AFCON

Watford defender William Troost-Ekong has been named Nigeria captain for the Africa Cup of Nations.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/c0f7d8c3588b22a83c8789b9cd80f5da.jpeg

He is one of three Hornets players included in the Nigeria squad, alongside Emmanuel Dennis and out-on-loan goalkeeper Maduka Okoye.

Elsewhere, fellow Watford players Imran Louza and Adam Masina have been called up by Morocco and will play at the tournament as well.

Former Tottenham defender Troost-Ekong said, "It's a great honour to captain your country, I think when I first came to the Super Eagles I didn't realize it could go that quickly.

“However, I think I've been here quite consistently and it's a great honour from the coach and trust that I'm getting to get that role but it comes with responsibility."

Troost-Ekong said that being his nation's leader did not add any extra pressure to his game, or change the way he approaches each match.

“If you wear the band or not I think I still play the same, it doesn't change anything about how I play, what I do," he continued.

“I might have one or two extra responsibilities on the pitch but it is still the same, I still play the same and talk the same so it doesn't make that much of a difference."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian Woman Overjoyed After Giving Birth to Twins at 56
Forum | 2 days ago

Nigerian Woman Overjoyed After Giving Birth to Twins at 56

Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering
Forum | 4 days ago

Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0
Forum | 5 days ago

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0

EFCC Arrests Sirika Over N8bn Nigeria Air Fraud
Forum | 1 week ago

EFCC Arrests Sirika Over N8bn Nigeria Air Fraud