I only wanted to leave Arsenal for Newcastle - Willock

Forum 2 years ago

I only wanted to leave Arsenal for Newcastle - Willock

Newcastle United signing Joe Willock insists he only thought about joining one club this summer.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/715ca4f22d885a2628b860db2aac78be.jpeg

The English playmaker left boyhood club Arsenal last week, completing a £25million move to return to St James' Park.

Willock enjoyed a successful loan spell on Tyneside last season, and insists he was desperate to return to the club.

"I had the option of staying or looking at other avenues to further my career," Willock told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"Coming back to Newcastle was always at the top of my list so when I decided to leave Arsenal, there was only one place I was going to go and that's Newcastle.

"I didn't really have a lot of games in pre-season, I only played 30 to 40 minutes in pre-season. I feel like, for me, I want to put the shirt back on and give my all for Newcastle United.

"Whether it's this weekend or the following week, I feel like there will be a time where I need to step up and go on the pitch. I'd like to play this weekend so hopefully, I'll get my opportunity whether it's from the bench or the start."

Willock also opened up a tough decision to leave the Gunners, who he joined at the age of four-and-a-half.

He added: "To be honest with you, it wasn't straightforward at all. It was a big step for me in my career to leave my boyhood club, and move away from my comfort zone.

"I feel the Newcastle fans, the team and the manager made the decision easier. The love I have for Newcastle is immense, so it made the decision very easy for me towards the end."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Euro 2024: So good – John Stones hails Arsenal target
Forum | 1 day ago

Euro 2024: So good – John Stones hails Arsenal target

Euro 2024: He doesn’t panic – Jenas hails Arsenal star
Forum | 2 days ago

Euro 2024: He doesn’t panic – Jenas hails Arsenal star

Euro 2024: No point playing him – Italy boss Spalletti rebukes Arsenal star
Forum | 3 days ago

Euro 2024: No point playing him – Italy boss Spalletti rebukes Arsenal star

Transfer: Chelsea will regret allowing 22-year-old star to leave Stamford Bridge – Agbonlahor
Forum | 4 days ago

Transfer: Chelsea will regret allowing 22-year-old star to leave Stamford Bridge – Agbonlahor