CEO Of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Promises To Bring Internet To Refugee Camps

Forum 8 years ago

CEO Of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, Promises To Bring Internet To Refugee Camps

Mark Zuckerberg has said he will help the United Nations bring the internet to refugee camps.

The Facebook founder and CEO made the announcement as he addressed the UN Private Sector Forum.

“Connectivity will help refugees better access support from the aid community and maintain their links to families,” he said.

Mr Zuckerberg called for universal internet access to be made a global priority.

He said wide internet access “needs to be at the heart of the global development strategy” to address new challenges and needs of the new generation.

In the long term, Facebook will help UN agencies develop tools to track progress toward
implementing the development goals, Mr Zuckerberg said.

“Data can help us make smarter decisions but only if you can interpret it quickly and with confidence, so we want to help the UN make decisions that will advance our goals,” he added.

The UN adopted a new set of 17 development goals on Friday designed to end poverty and hunger and fight inequality over the next 15 years.

Mr Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla were seen in public at the weekend when they attended a White House state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping.

It was the first time the couple had been seen since Mr Zuckerberg announced that his wife is expecting their first child.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
The Smashing Machine: Dwayne Johnson’s Intense MMA Training for Mark Kerr Movie Begins
Forum | 1 day ago

The Smashing Machine: Dwayne Johnson’s Intense MMA Training for Mark Kerr Movie Begins

Stakeholders Raise N135m To Bring Home Abandoned Remains Of Ex-Senate President, Wayas
Forum | 6 days ago

Stakeholders Raise N135m To Bring Home Abandoned Remains Of Ex-Senate President, Wayas

Bring Her Back Is the Next Horror Movie From Talk to Me Directors
Forum | 1 week ago

Bring Her Back Is the Next Horror Movie From Talk to Me Directors

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday
Forum | 1 week ago

You Bring So Much Joy, Into My World - Actor Browny Igboegwu Celebrates Wife on Her Birthday