This Is Why Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown?

Forum 7 years ago

This Is Why Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown?

The legal profession as we know it has its own peculiar traditions most of which are from antiquity. An instance of this is the wig and gown which has quite become the de rigueur for members of the Nigerian Legal profession.

Most law students can’t seem to understand why a feminine attire like the wig and gown would become the norm for everyone. Why can’t we just don our fashionable suits with a little pizazz when appearing before courts like we see in the movies ?

The history behind the practice of wearing this rather outlandish garb dates back to the 18th century where it had once been a status symbol distinguishing members of the noble profession from the rest of the populace. It’s something that has been handed down the years until we eventually inherited it from Britain as part of our colonial common law heritage (although in most countries there have been minor modifications).

A lot of reasons have been cited for why lawyers today still wear the wig and gown (most of which I still laugh over).

(1) It was originally designed to distinguish members of the legal profession from other members of society.

(2) It brought authority, formality, dignity and solemnity of the law

(3) It emphasizes on the objectivity of the law and deflects personal attention from the judge. (Surely judges can’t be seen to be flamboyant)

(4) With respect to the judiciary, it is designed to bring anonymity to the judge and help them hide their identity.

(5) It was introduced in the past for hygienic reasons

Do you think it should be done away with? Lets here your thoughts then

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Moment Bride Arrives School in Wedding Gown to Write Her Final Exam
Forum | 3 days ago

Moment Bride Arrives School in Wedding Gown to Write Her Final Exam

Wigwe: Ogunbanjo’s Family Files Lawsuit Against Charter Company Over Helicopter Crash
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Wigwe: Ogunbanjo’s Family Files Lawsuit Against Charter Company Over Helicopter Crash

Say Whatever You Like, I Can Wear My Son’s Clothes – Mohbad’s Father Blasts Critic
Forum | 3 weeks ago

Say Whatever You Like, I Can Wear My Son’s Clothes – Mohbad’s Father Blasts Critic

Super Eagles: He can wear Enyeama’s shoes – Brown gives verdict on Nwabali
Forum | 2 months ago

Super Eagles: He can wear Enyeama’s shoes – Brown gives verdict on Nwabali