Bill To Criminalise Sexual Harassment In Nigerian Universities Passes 2nd Reading In The Senate

Forum 7 years ago

Bill To Criminalise Sexual Harassment In Nigerian Universities Passes 2nd Reading In The Senate

Today at the Nigerian Senate, a bill to Criminalize Sexual Harassment in Nigerian Universities passed its Second Reading. This was announced by Senate president Bukola Saraki on his social media handle.

He said the Bill is borne out of the prevalent situation of the sexual harassment of students in the country's tertiary institutions.

If this Sexual Harassment Bill is passed into law, sexual harassment in Nigerian Universities will become a criminal offense punishable by law.
The offending lecturer WILL be prosecuted and if found guilty, jailed.

Reacting further on his Facebook page, Senator Saraki stated

I can attest to the fact that I have received anonymous emails and messages urging the Senate to make sexual harassment in our universities a criminal offence. In this regard, as we have taken this pivotal step to get this bill off the ground, I enjoin members of the civil society and students across the country to join in the process to make sure that this bill is passed and signed, so that students can receive the protection and backing of the law as they pursue their education.”

This is good news indeed...

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0
Forum | 8 hours ago

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0

UNICAL notice on commencement of registration for 1st & 2nd semester courses, 2023/2024
Forum | 1 day ago

UNICAL notice on commencement of registration for 1st & 2nd semester courses, 2023/2024

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi
Forum | 4 days ago

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi

I’m Tired of Reading Your Dumb Advice - Femi Adebayo’s Wife Slams Online Aunties
Forum | 4 days ago

I’m Tired of Reading Your Dumb Advice - Femi Adebayo’s Wife Slams Online Aunties