Trucks crush three to death in Nsukka

Forum 7 years ago

Trucks crush three to death in Nsukka

Monday was a sad day for the university town of Nsukka in Enugu state as three persons were killed in different locations by two articulated vehicles conveying Coca-cola products and Hero brand of beer.

A resident, who pleaded anonymity, disclosed that the first one happened at Ugwuoye near old NEPA when the articulated vehicles loaded with Hero beer failed brake and some cartoons of beer from the vehicle hit a motorcyclist and his female passenger.

“I was opposite old NEPA to buy something when I saw the driver trying to control vehicle and shouting my brake, my brake and crates of beer falling from the vehicles

“The motorcyclist died on the spot as a result of lots of crates of beer that hit him but the female passenger was rushed to a nearby hospital where she later died,” he said.

According to him, in less than one hour after the Ugwuoye incident, another articulated vehicle crushed one person in front of Nitel building.

“Today is a black Monday in Nsukka, unfortunately the trailer in that accident opposite Nitel was set ablaze by angry mob,” he said.

Speaking on the sad development, the chairman of GSM Nsukka main market, Mr Innocent Ekwunife said he was yet to recover from the shock of the death of their colleague, Chidi Ogbu, who was crushed to death today by a truck on his way to his shop this morning.

“We have decided to close all GSM shops in Nsukka main market today as mark of respect for one of us who lost his life in an accident

“We want government to investigate what caused the accident that killed our colleague so as to avoid a repeat in future,” he said.

In her reaction to the incident, Chairman of Nsukka LGA, Prof Rose Onah described both accidents that happened in Nsukka on Monday as unfortunate and urged road users to exercise more patience while plying the road because of ongoing road construction in the town.

“Some of the causes of accidents are impatient and not giving proper attention to vehicles which will cause problem on the way,” she said.

Onah, however, frowned at the action of some residents who hurled stones and pebbles at fire service officials who came to put out the fire set on the truck by the irate mob.

“I heard that fire servicemen’s initial attempt to put off fire on the trailer was scuttled by some residents that attacked them which made them to go back.

“We should learn how to prevent further damages when accident happen by cooperating with security agents, fire service people and FRSC workers

“I expressed my sympathy to families that lost their beloved ones and urged God to grant them the fortitude to bear the untimely loss,” she said.

When contacted, the Commander of Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, Nsukka Unit Command, Mr Bello Mohammed confirmed the two accidents and urged drivers to be careful so as to avoid some accidents.

“Drivers in Nsukka town and environs should be more careful and take adequate precautionary measure knowing very well that road constructions are going on in the town.

“The two accidents and death as result of it could have been averted if those involved have exercised patience and precautionary measures,” he said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Michael Douglas Wanted Hank Pym’s MCU Death in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
Forum | 20 hours ago

Michael Douglas Wanted Hank Pym’s MCU Death in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Free Fall: Zachary Levi Cast in Rock-Climbing Action Movie Directed by Death Proof Star
Forum | 2 days ago

Free Fall: Zachary Levi Cast in Rock-Climbing Action Movie Directed by Death Proof Star

Abia Govt Vows Justice As Protest Rocks Umuahia Over Navy Cadet’s Death In Swimming Pool
Forum | 2 days ago

Abia Govt Vows Justice As Protest Rocks Umuahia Over Navy Cadet’s Death In Swimming Pool

Police Arrest Man For Allegedly Stabbing His Wife
Forum | 5 days ago

Police Arrest Man For Allegedly Stabbing His Wife's Friend to Death in Asaba