Supreme Court upholds Governor Dickson’s election

Forum 7 years ago

Supreme Court upholds Governor Dickson’s election

The Supreme Court on Tuesday affirmed Seriake d!ckson as governor of Bayelsa State.

The seven-member panel of judges threw out an appeal by Timipre Sylva, candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, challenging the election of d!ckson.

The election tribunal and the Court of Appeal had earlier upheld d!ckson’s election.

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had accused some bigwigs of the All Progressives Congress, APC, of pressurizing Justices of the Supreme Court in a bid to favour the party in the Bayelsa State Governorship election matter.

However, in a unanimous decision, a seven-man panel of Justices of the apex court led by Justice Mohammed Tanko, dismissed the appeal by the All Progressives Congress, APC, and its governorship candidate in the state, Timipre Sylva.

Justice Tanko who read the lead verdict held that the petition lacked merit.

“This appeal lacks merit and it should be dismissed. I hereby dismiss the appeal and affirm the judgment of the court below. I shall give my reasons on Friday, November 18. Parties are to bear their cost”, Justice Tanko held.

Nevertheless, the court, in two other judgments by Justices Kudirat Ekekere-Ekun and Olukayode Ariwola, dismissed cross-appeal filed by d!ckson and the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, against Sylva and the APC, though they also reserved their reasons till Friday.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others
Forum | 1 min ago

Court Orders INEC To Publish Audited Election Expenses Of Political Parties, Others

I’m Still In Charge - Ganduje Reacts As Court Stops Suspension
Forum | 5 mins ago

I’m Still In Charge - Ganduje Reacts As Court Stops Suspension

EFCC vs Yahaya Bello: Ex-Kogi Governor Has Lost Immunity, Can Be Arrested, Prosecuted – Falana
Forum | 4 hours ago

EFCC vs Yahaya Bello: Ex-Kogi Governor Has Lost Immunity, Can Be Arrested, Prosecuted – Falana

Heavy Security As Court Rules On Bail Of Governor Adeleke’s Ally, Oyeyemi
Forum | 2 days ago

Heavy Security As Court Rules On Bail Of Governor Adeleke’s Ally, Oyeyemi