See Everyday 7 English Words Used By Nigerians That Are Not In The Dictionary

Forum 8 years ago

See Everyday 7 English Words Used By Nigerians That Are Not In The Dictionary

Here are 7 words Nigerians use every day which don’t exist. These are the kind of words you type into your phone or computer and it draws a red line underneath it. Please read on and educate yourself.

1. GO- SLOW
Although the word ‘go-slow’ appears in the dictionary, it is wrongly used by many Nigerians.
The word go-slow means a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed down. It does not mean congested traffic, so it is wrong to use it in that way.

2. INSTALMENTALLY
There is no such word in the English dictionary, this word exists only in the Nigerian edition dictionary (if such a book exists). The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’

3. OPPORTUNED
How many times do you say ‘I was not opportuned to come’? The correct variants that exist are ‘opporteune’ or ‘opportunity’.
The word ‘opportune’ has no past tense.

4. CUNNY
“That guy is very cunny”. This is wrong, the word is ‘cunning’, not cunny. If you want to refer to someone who is sly or deceitful, use the word ‘cunning’, ‘cunny’ simply does not exist.

5. WAKE-KEEPING
I’m sure most people will argue with this, but argue as you may, what you will find in the dictionary is ‘wake- keep’.

6. SCREENTOUCH PHONE
The white made these devices and called it ‘touchscreen’, by the time the phones enter Naija, we rename them ‘screen touch’

7. DISVIRGIN
No, you did not dis virgin that babe, you deflowered her, you took away her virginity, but you certainly did not disvirgin her, because the word ‘disvirgin’ simply does not exist!

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Nigerians Mock EFCC As Video of Obi Cubana Spraying Dollars Surfaces Online
Forum | 17 hours ago

Nigerians Mock EFCC As Video of Obi Cubana Spraying Dollars Surfaces Online

NEC Meeting: Nigerians Want PDP to Rescue Them From APC – BoT Chair, Wabara
Forum | 1 day ago

NEC Meeting: Nigerians Want PDP to Rescue Them From APC – BoT Chair, Wabara

UCL: Referee used common sense – Arteta on why Bayern didn’t get penalty
Forum | 6 days ago

UCL: Referee used common sense – Arteta on why Bayern didn’t get penalty

Electricity Tariff Hike: I’m Sorry – Power Minister, Adelabu Apologises to Nigerians Over AC, Freezer Comment
Forum | 1 week ago

Electricity Tariff Hike: I’m Sorry – Power Minister, Adelabu Apologises to Nigerians Over AC, Freezer Comment