Ronaldo backs Cristiano Ronaldo to win 2016 Ballon d’Or

Forum 7 years ago

Ronaldo backs Cristiano Ronaldo to win 2016 Ballon d’Or

Brazil legend, Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima has backed Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo to win the Ballon d’Or ahead of Barcelona rival Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid forward, Antoine Griezman.

The former striker said Ronaldo should claim the fourth Ballon d’Or of his career after achieving European success with club and country.

Cristiano Ronaldo is favourite to win the Ballon d’Or in a year in which he helped Portugal to a first major international prize with Euro 2016 glory, after having led Madrid to their 11th Champions League success.

The Portugal captain scored 51 goals in all competitions for Madrid last season, and netted three times as Portugal won the Euro 2016 in France in the summer, though he suffered an injury and had to be substituted in the first-half of the final.

Ronaldo de lima, who is played for Madrid, believes the Portugal superstar’s achievements this year make him a standout on the 30-man shortlist.

He told Claro Sports, “This year, if I have to choose, I’d pick Cristiano Ronaldo over Lionel Messi for the Ballon d’Or because of what he’s won.”

Ronaldo de lima, who won La Liga twice with Madrid in a five year spell, was speaking after his namesake signed a new contract in the Spanish capital.

He added, “It’d be best if Cristiano Ronaldo retired at Real Madrid and then worked at the club.

Ronaldo’s form has been criticised this season, having scored only seven goals across La Liga and the Champions League.

But the former Madrid striker insisted, “I don’t think he’s going through a tough spell.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Winter Spring Summer or Fall First Image Previews Jenna Ortega-Led Romantic Drama
Forum | 1 day ago

Winter Spring Summer or Fall First Image Previews Jenna Ortega-Led Romantic Drama

PDP NWC Backs Damagum As Acting National Chairman
Forum | 2 days ago

PDP NWC Backs Damagum As Acting National Chairman

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with
Forum | 2 days ago

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with

UCL: They can make it difficult- Klinsmann picks team to win Bayern vs Arsenal
Forum | 2 days ago

UCL: They can make it difficult- Klinsmann picks team to win Bayern vs Arsenal