Music Review: If A Lesser Artist Than Davido Sang “Assurance” It Won’t Fly

Forum 5 years ago

Music Review: If A Lesser Artist Than Davido Sang “Assurance” It Won’t Fly

Music stars like David ‘Davido’ Adeleke know how to stay at the center of controversy all the time. Making news headlines is a sure thing for a superstar in the caliber of the DMW honcho Davido. He has a long history of addressing issues (beef) in his songs, which has always been a catalyst to drive his music.

Once again, Davido caused a wildfire on social media with a generous gift of a Porsche he bought for his girlfriend Chioma. Suddenly the singer became an unfair yardstick to measure what it means to be romantic and how to treat your girl right. It was not only the Porsche that was gifted Chioma, a love song was also released dedicated to her titled “Assurance”. Having a Porsche car and a song done in honour of you seems like such a perfect birthday gifts from a lover.

Away from all the buzz, the latest song in Davido’s discography “Assurance” would be cross examined if indeed it’s worth all the hype and strategy.

The track “Assurance” may be doing fantastic statistically, however, the song is a bore and could have been slept on if a lesser artist dropped that tune.

There is no doubt Davido and by extension DMW crew are in a hot form. The MTV EMA award-winning artist in fact has been bossing the music scene since last year with a good number of hits on heavy rotation. However, it has come to the point, Davido is slowly slipping into the uptight corners of monotony.

The year began early for Davido as he was recruited by DJ ECool on his hit single “Ada”. Then came his first official single “Flora My Flow” published around the Valentine’s season. “Assurance” easily feels like an extension of the previously named singles. It’s about time Davido switched up his music to give us something new.

Like it’s been earlier stated, if this “Assurance” song was sang by a lesser known artist it would probably not fly. Davido strategically used his Porsche gift to Chioma as the ultimate PR to push “Assurance” into our consciousness. A wise man once said, “You can hype it all you want, if e no sweet e no sweet”. Davido has been a lover boy on ‘IF’, ‘Fall’, up to “Assurance” it’s about time he flipped the script.

The only positive thing is about the new song is that his lyrics over time seems to have improved by a little margin.

[ Download Track Here ]

Rating: 2.5/5

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti
Forum | 11 hours ago

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti

2face Doesn’t Live With His Sons, Burna Boy May Never Give Birth, Davido Kills Every Male Child He Comes Across - Brymo Makes Shocking Claims
Forum | 2 days ago

2face Doesn’t Live With His Sons, Burna Boy May Never Give Birth, Davido Kills Every Male Child He Comes Across - Brymo Makes Shocking Claims

Davido Reveals Fate Of Peruzzi, Other DMW Artists As He Launches New Record Label
Forum | 2 days ago

Davido Reveals Fate Of Peruzzi, Other DMW Artists As He Launches New Record Label

Davido Throws Support Behind Cubana Chief Priest Amid Alleged Naira Abuse
Forum | 4 days ago

Davido Throws Support Behind Cubana Chief Priest Amid Alleged Naira Abuse