Influence Of English Language On Mass Failure Of Nigerian Students

Forum 8 years ago

Influence Of English Language On Mass Failure Of Nigerian Students

Language is a system of communication consisting of sounds, words or grammar. It’s the system of communication used by the people of a particular country or profession. Every country in the world have their local and official languages. Most of these countries got their official language from their colonial masters.
Countries like Australia, New Zealand, the USA and Nigeria are former British colonies.

Nigeria is a country that is blessed with many languages and dialects. Some of her major languages are, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Edo, Calabar, Kogi, just to mention but a few. Each tribe in Nigeria has a language and some dialects. For instance, Yoruba tribe speaks Yoruba language but each town in that region has a dialect. Some of the dialects are, Egba for Abeokuta, Ijebu for Ijebu towns, Ikale for Ikale in Ondo state, Ibadan for Ibadan city, Awori for Lagos.

Every tribe in Nigeria are using their language to control their government systems until British colonials took over in 18th century. All the tribes were later amalgamated to what we known as Nigeria, today. They introduced western education and their language which is English became official language in Nigeria. English language was also recommended as the official language to teach in Nigerian schools. All subjects are taught with English language except subjects in Nigerian languages. Such as Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo language.

However, some Nigerian students failed to know the importance of English language in their academics. Most of them believe that English language is compulsory for some particular students not everybody, i.e. Art students. In fact, it baffles me sometimes when I hear an engineering student saying English language is not important to him. The attitude of “English is not our language” is another problem for some Nigerian students which is causing setback for them. This is why many of them don’t care about the mechanical accuracy of their written answers in standard exams.

My observations on some students proved that some are not lazy in reading but to compose their answers is what always be a problem for them in exams. Failure to improve on grammar really has impact on the mass failure of Nigerian students. You may have experienced a situation where someone who is not a book maniac like you earn better marks than you. Such person may earn the marks because his answers are well presented not with bribery or expo. This is because many examiners don’t joke with the mechanical accuracy of their students especially in tertiary institutions.

Every student that want to excel in their academics need to always work on the mechanical accuracy of their answers in any exam. The mechanics in English language include, spelling, grammar, phonics, punctuation marks, semantic (contextual and literal), lexis and structure. Speaking or writing with big grammar doesn’t make you a good speaker or writer but your proper usage of lexicons with lesser semantic error. Most Nigerian students always write with big grammar in order to impress their examiners without considering the semantic of their answers. In fact, improper usage of puctuation marks can make you lose unimagineable marks.

Although, background and environmental factors are causes of lagging behind of some people in English language but you can apply below suggestions to improve your spoken and written English.

* Always read good books that are written with up-to-date English.
* Avoid addiction to cyber text because it can affect your proper usage of lexicons.
* Always read good articles and also try to write something meaningful everyday. This will help you to improve your writing skill.
* Join educational forums or groups where you can meet people who know better than you. I recommend ‘English Language Clinic Forum’ on facebook.
* Buy standard dictionary because it’s the best authorized source to guide you. This is because you’re not a native speaker.

Examples are:
– Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
– Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary
– Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
– Concise Oxford English Dictionary
– BBC Dictionary

* Always give yourself regular self-test and give it to someone who knows better than you to grade you. This will help you to expand your horizons.

* Don’t stick to your English language teacher alone. Always do research to update yourself in order not to be outdated.

* You must know the differences between British English (BrE) and American English (AmE).

[ads4]
Lastly, always remember that British English (BrE) is the acceptable English in Nigeria especially for examinations. Everything that I mentioned in this article are what I’ve seen and heard. You cannot dispute the influence of English language on your academics as a Nigerian student. I’ve also experienced them and I’m still learning.

Thanks to my English language teachers from, Mr Rasheed Ajao at Lagelu Grammar School, Ibadan to Dr Abiola Jesulowo and Dr Peter Adejumo at The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Adeseun Ogundoyin Campus, Eruwa (now, The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa). I also appreciate my role model, Dr Adenike Akinjobi (Mrs), Department of English, University of Ibadan.

This Article Was Written By PenKraft Of Hub201

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi
Forum | 1 day ago

Your Marriage Is Still One of the Best We’ve Seen So Far - Nigerian Man Praises Adekunle Gold and Simi

VeryDarkMan Calls Out Hilda Baci Over Failure To Start Cooking Class After Collecting Payment
Forum | 1 day ago

VeryDarkMan Calls Out Hilda Baci Over Failure To Start Cooking Class After Collecting Payment

Zeribe Nwosu Foundation (ZNF) Annual Essay Competition for Nigerian Students, 2024
Forum | 2 days ago

Zeribe Nwosu Foundation (ZNF) Annual Essay Competition for Nigerian Students, 2024

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa
Forum | 3 days ago

Photo Of Nigerian Man Who Poses As A Ghost To Defraud People In Adamawa