“I Used To Be a Mobile Cobbler” – Actor, Sanyeri Reveals

Forum 7 years ago

“I Used To Be a Mobile Cobbler” – Actor, Sanyeri Reveals

Yoruba actor, Sanyeri, is serving motivation to his fans after revealing that he was once a shoe maker before he got the opportunity to become a star.

The actor, who stated this in an interview with Punch News, said he found it difficult to make a living after finishing secondary school, due to this, he resorted to learning how to become a cobbler.

His participation in acting in Oyo State did not give him the sort of reward he anticipated. Even after relocating to Lagos, his situation remained the same.

The suffering I endured was really extreme. After I finished my secondary school education, I did not have a job so I delved into the theatre world. I did it for some time but I was not being paid even when I went everywhere with the group and was helping them carry their costume.”

“I had to learn how to repair shoes so I became a shoe cobbler. Eventually, I left Oyo town and came to Lagos to find greener pastures but still I was not earning anything from acting.”

“I became a mobile cobbler. I would put my materials in a wooden box, place it on my shoulder and start hitting it as I walked the length and breadth of Idumota.”

“I would constantly hit my wooden box as I walked about to call the attention of people. Then nobody knew me so I kept hitting my box all over Idumota.”

“I remember I had a handkerchief I used to cover my face because of my tribal marks.”

“The reason I concealed my tribal marks was because the Igbo boys at Idumota had the belief that if they did not give their shoes to a Ghanaian cobbler, no one could do a better job.”

“If they saw my tribal marks, they would think I was one of the touts that would normally come to disturb them for money for shop and they would not give me their shoes to repair.”

“When I saw that being a shoe cobbler was affecting my career as an actor, I had to quit and face acting squarely. I thank God that good fortunes have come my way.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves
Forum | 1 hour ago

Nancy Isime Reveals The Best Gift She Will Give to Anyone She Loves

Paternity Fraud Should Be Criminalised Like R3pe - Actor Salami
Forum | 1 hour ago

Paternity Fraud Should Be Criminalised Like R3pe - Actor Salami

I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope
Forum | 8 hours ago

I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel
Forum | 1 day ago

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel