"I Just Killed Kamil - I Need To Be Arrested" - Man Makes Shocking Call After Stabbing His Neighbour To Death

Forum 6 years ago

"I Just Killed Kamil - I Need To Be Arrested" - Man Makes Shocking Call After Stabbing His Neighbour To Death

A man who went haywire and stabbed his own neighbour to death, proceeded to make a shocking 999 call to report himself to authorities.

This is the chilling moment a killer made a 999 call saying 'I just killed Kamil...I need to be arrested.'

Paranoid schizophrenic Jeffrey Barry, 56, was today found guilty of murdering his neighbour Kamil Ahmad in a 'savage and sustained' knife attack lasting more than 40 minutes.

The gruesome attack in Bristol in July 2016 ended with Barry chopping off the Kurdish refugee's penis.

Barry had denied murder but admitted manslaughter by diminished responsibility at Bristol Crown Court.

But a jury unanimously convicted him of murder after two hours of deliberations at the end of the two-week trial.

The court heard Barry held a long-standing grudge against Iraqi-born Mr Ahmad and had called police weeks before, claiming he was a rapist, a paedophile and a terrorist in Iraq.

He murdered Mr Ahmad in the knife attack at a supported property for people with mental illnesses hours after being released from a psychiatric hospital.

The court heard psychiatrists had opposed Barry's release, but a mental health tribunal ruled he should be discharged.

Police today released the recording of the call Barry made within minutes of the stabbing. He calmly phoned 999 and told the operator what he had done.

He accused Mr Ahmad of committing a number of crimes, adding: 'So that's why I attacked him.

'I warned the staff. I warned them. I warned the crisis team. They ignored me. He's dead now.'

He went on: 'I'm covered with blood. There's blood splattered everywhere in the room. Classed as murder, innit?'

The call handler could he heard asking a colleague to send an ambulance before Barry said: 'But I'm going to say diminished responsibility.'

In the lead-up to the murder, Barry had been sectioned and treated at a psychiatric intensive care unit after allegedly threatening to kill Mr Ahmad.

During the trial, the jury was told he had written notes stating his intention to kill people in the shared supported housing unit where the pair lived.

He told support workers at the accommodation they shared in Bristol that he wanted to be a notorious murderer and Mr Ahmad was top of his hit list.

Weeks before the killing at the victim's flat, Barry told police in a phone call he thought Mr Ahmad was a rapist, a paedophile and a terrorist in Iraq.

He earlier told a psychiatrist he could hear the devil's voice telling him: 'Kamil must die...he is a very bad man.'

He also displayed 'bizarre' over-sexualised behaviour, including masturbating naked in communal areas.

Despite that he was discharged the day before the brutal knifing after promising a mental health tribunal he would not drink.

CCTV footage on the night of the murder showed Barry leaving the flat in the early evening on July 6, 2016.

He spent several hours drinking at Charlie's Bar in Wells Road and Long Bar in Old Market before returning to the flat just before midnight.

Footage captured him leaving the flat at 1am, wearing just his pants, and making a telephone call in the hallway. He rang a mental health crisis helpline and told the operator he was criminally insane and was not responsible for his actions.

He ended the call at 1.26am, and appeared on CCTV footage three minutes later, emerging from his flat shirtless but wearing trousers with a knife in his pocket.
He then walked upstairs and knocked on Mr Ahmad's door.

His victim opened the door and Barry went in before emerging 42 minutes later with blood visible all over his clothes.

He then walked back down to the hall, dialled 999 and told the operator he had killed Mr Ahmad.

Home Office pathologist Dr Amanda Jeffery examined Mr Ahmad's body and found injuries to his face, head and neck.

There were 25 stab wounds to his face, including his eyes, and fatal stab wounds to his stomach, right arm and left wrist.

Mr Ahmad's penis had been cut off after his death.

Mr Ahmad fled persecution and imprisonment in Iraq, and as a result of his experiences there was diagnosed with severe mental health difficulties.

He arrived in the UK in 2011 seeking protection.

Mr Ahmad's family and friends said he had been let down by several agencies in the city, and Mr Ahmad had made repeated warnings about feeling threatened by Barry but was ignored.

In the three years before the attack, Mr Ahmad had complained to police four times that Barry had assaulted him.

Mr Ahmad's interpreter, Adil Jaifar, said he had worked with the victim for several years and that at weekly therapy meetings he attended with Mr Ahmad, he always talked about how threatened he felt by Barry.

Ahmad's brother, Kamaran Ahmad Ali, said after the verdict: 'Kamil was a much-loved brother, uncle and cousin. If he had been protected by the authorities, he would be alive today. Why was he not protected? We must have an answer to that question.'

The family's solicitor, Tony Murphy of Bhatt Murphy, described the murder as 'preventable'.

'The evidence heard at trial points to a systemic, multi-agency failure to protect a known victim of violent race hate crime from a known perpetrator,' he said.

'The family ask the authorities to be open about their failure to protect Kamil so that other lives can be protected.'

After the verdict Detective Chief Inspector Richard Ocone said: 'Barry may have a history of serious mental illness but at the time he attacked Kamil he knew exactly what he was doing.

'The public are now much safer with him off the streets for he is an exceptionally dangerous man.'

Alex Raikes from the campaign group Stand Against Racism and Inequality (Sari) said more help should have been available for Mr Ahmad.

'We're seeing cutbacks where we're seeing agencies losing more and more resources, more and more front-line resources, some of our most vulnerable people are even less safe,' she said.

'That means that we, as the voluntary and charitable sector, have got to step up and we've got to do more than we ever have done before to be the eyes and ears of people who are so vulnerable, and Kamil was one of those individuals.'

A spokesman for Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust described the murder as 'tragic and brutal'.

'We remain committed to close co-operation with all agencies in an effort to prevent such an event happening in the future,' he said.

John Hoskinson, chief executive of the Milestones Trust, said an internal review was being conducted, as well as other investigations.

'We do understand this is a very difficult time for those involved but are unable to comment further until the results of these investigations are known,' Mr Hoskinson added.

Judge Mrs Justice May will sentence Barry on November 10.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Ex-Oyo Governor, Olunloyo Debunks Death Rumour, Says I’m Alive
Forum | 3 hours ago

Ex-Oyo Governor, Olunloyo Debunks Death Rumour, Says I’m Alive

How A 30-Year-Old Man Allegedly Stole N1.2m From Dead Man’s Bank Account In Ibadan
Forum | 21 hours ago

How A 30-Year-Old Man Allegedly Stole N1.2m From Dead Man’s Bank Account In Ibadan

How My 15-Month-Old Baby Was Burnt To Death — Bereaved Mother Says
Forum | 21 hours ago

How My 15-Month-Old Baby Was Burnt To Death — Bereaved Mother Says

Commotion As 16 People Are Feared Killed By Terrorist Bomb In Borno
Forum | 21 hours ago

Commotion As 16 People Are Feared Killed By Terrorist Bomb In Borno