Football is difficult in Africa – Aiyegbeni

Forum 7 years ago

Football is difficult in Africa – Aiyegbeni

Coventry City’s new forward, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, has claimed that playing football in Africa is difficult.

The former Super Eagles striker was speaking on the importance of Senegalese Idrissa Gueye to his former club, Everton.

“It can be difficult in Africa – a lot of the pitches aren’t great which makes it tough,” Aiyegbeni told Everton’s official website.

“I found it took two or three weeks to get back up to full speed after returning, which I think is the case for a lot of players.”

Aiyegbeni also hailed Gueye, who played for the Teranga Lions in the just concluded Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon, as Ronald Koeman’s ‘signing of the season’.

“It is quite difficult to come back from an Africa Cup of Nations in the middle of the season,” he added.

“It’s a different kind of football and you have to change your mentality for the tournament.

“[Gueye] is pleasing to see and, for me, he is the signing of the season. He has everything – energy, pace and he supports the team at both ends of the pitch.

“The supporters have taken to him and I’m sure they will enjoy him even more and more as time goes on. I think next season he will be even better.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Absolutely exceptional’ – Michael Owen reveals best football manager on planet
Forum | 1 week ago

Absolutely exceptional’ – Michael Owen reveals best football manager on planet

Ozil reveals only club missing in his football career
Forum | 1 week ago

Ozil reveals only club missing in his football career

Ten-Year-Old Boy Strangles His Age Mate During An Argument On A Football Pitch In Lagos
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Ten-Year-Old Boy Strangles His Age Mate During An Argument On A Football Pitch In Lagos

LaLiga: ‘I feel like quitting football over racism’ – Vinicius Jr
Forum | 3 weeks ago

LaLiga: ‘I feel like quitting football over racism’ – Vinicius Jr