Enyeama To Retire From Super Eagles After AFCON 2017

Forum 8 years ago

Enyeama To Retire From Super Eagles After AFCON 2017

Super Eagles Goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama, has said he would retire from super eagles after AFCON 2017. According to the goalkeeper, he had wanted to retire after the team failed to qualify for 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), but the then Governor of Akwa Ibom, Godswill Akpabio, his wife and Pastor all discouraged him from retiring. Below is what Enyema said about his planned 2017 retirement..

“I actually wanted to stop, it wasn’t a rumour.
Nigeria is blessed with great goalkeepers, just that we need to give them confidence.

“Nobody gave me a chance when I started, I was a rookie also; I belt it up, I worked hard for it and became the big person that nobody wants to lose.

“What changed my mind was the passion of Nigerians; I had a lot of calls, my governor, Akpabio.

“A lot of people talked with me. These things, you don’t just ignore and my wife also talked with me.

“My wife didn’t want me to leave yet. I talked to my pastor and he said if everybody said stay, why not; so I decided to continue, but then, there is going to be a time to call it quit.”

“I can’t keep doing the same thing forever; there is going to be a time I have to stop and give it up to some other person.

“I am the only face here since 2002, but 2017 Nations Cup finals will be my last game; I just said my target, anything can happen after.”
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria
Forum | 1 day ago

Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers
Forum | 3 days ago

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers

Victor Boniface emerges Super Eagles’ next superstar in the making
Forum | 3 days ago

Victor Boniface emerges Super Eagles’ next superstar in the making

Superman: James Gunn Confirms DCU Movie’s Villain, Gives Progress Update
Forum | 6 days ago

Superman: James Gunn Confirms DCU Movie’s Villain, Gives Progress Update