Baba Suwe: NDLEA Reveals It Did Not Torture The Actor While In Their Custody

Forum 7 years ago

Baba Suwe: NDLEA Reveals It Did Not Torture The Actor While In Their Custody

National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has debunked reports that made rounds earlier this week that its operatives physically tortured comic actor, Baba Suwe while he was in their custody.

Mitchell Ofoyeju, the Head, Public Affairs of the NDLEA, said this in an interview with PUNCH on Thursday.

Ofoyeju reacted to an allegation by Nollywood actor, Yomi Fabiyi, that Baba Suwe’s health had deteriorated due to torture at the agency.

Fabiyi said on Instagram on Wednesday:

He (Baba Suwe) told me that he could no longer feel comfortable since that episode. Baba Suwe can hardly walk properly as I speak, let alone go to film. How will he feed and take care of the children that Aunty Moladun left behind?

He told me when I visited him that he was innocent and a long pipe was inserted in his anus. He was detained for too long, among other things, just because he was randomly suspected like every normal person.

Torture is criminal and sinful. If this accusation is found to be true by independent investigators, it shouldn’t go unpunished.

Dismissing Fabiyi’s claims, Ofoyeju said:

The NDLEA did not torture Baba Suwe. If he was tortured, he would have said it himself. This is just an unfounded rumour on the social media and it should be disregarded.

As a matter of fact, Baba Suwe was given the best treatment. We treated him with due regard to the requirement of fundamental human rights globally. He was talking to his relatives and lawyer. He was never kept in a prison for the period that he stayed here because he was virtually under our observation.

Ofoyeju also said that the NDLEA cannot pay Baba Suwe the N25m damages the court had ordered it to pay because the Appeal Court had directed it not to.

“If Baba Suwe had gone to the Supreme Court, perhaps his case would have been upheld. But he did not do so,” Ofoyeju said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope
Forum | 5 hours ago

I Was With Him During His Final Moments - Actor Onny Michael Fires Back At Those Who Attacked Him For Not Mourning Junior Pope

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel
Forum | 1 day ago

One Hundred Years of Solitude Teaser Trailer Reveals Netflix Series Based on Masterpiece Novel

Ex-Reps Member, Nwuke Reveals Why Fubara Is Gaining Support In Rivers
Forum | 1 day ago

Ex-Reps Member, Nwuke Reveals Why Fubara Is Gaining Support In Rivers

NDLEA Destroys 304,436kg, 40,042 Litres Of Illicit Drugs Seized In Lagos, Ogun
Forum | 2 days ago

NDLEA Destroys 304,436kg, 40,042 Litres Of Illicit Drugs Seized In Lagos, Ogun