I’ll secure victory at the tribunal — Idris Wada

Forum 8 years ago

I’ll secure victory at the tribunal — Idris Wada

Kogi State Governor, Capt. Idris Ichala Wada has assured his supporters that the election tribunal will do justice to the confusion surrounding the governorship polls.

Addressing Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, stakeholders at the Government House, Lokoja, Tuesday, the governor said the tribunal will soon decide whether it is legal for a political party to have two candidates in the course of election and whether a person’s votes could be transferred to another person.

Challenging Bello is legal not personal

Wada said his decision to challenge the result of the election is not personal but in order to seek proper interpretation of the law and relevant sections of the constitution and the Electoral Act in connection with the election.

His words: “We are contesting the election in court on the basis of malpractices and also issues regarding the application of the law, the constitution and the Electoral Act. It is not a personal thing. It is purely a legal issue and we need those relevant sections of our electoral laws to be properly interpreted in view of the unique incidents that happened in connection with this election.

“We believe that posterity has entrusted this responsibility on our party to seek interpretation of these issues. As a person, I do not have problems with anyone. I am a peace loving person but the issue at stake is a constitutional one that must be given attention for the sake of posterity.

“As my tenure winds up on January 27, 2016, I have already constituted a transition committee to ensure smooth handover of power. This is our obligation as a government. However, with the Governorship Election Tribunal already in place, we shall soon be going before them to ask germane questions.

“As far as the law is concerned, we have not seen where it was written that a person’s votes can be transferred to another. We are sure of victory.”

Competent lawyers

Responding on behalf of Kogi West and Kogi Central, former Deputy Governor of the State, Chief Sam Ola Akande appealed to the governor to assemble a team of competent lawyers to ensure that what rightly belongs to the PDP was not thrown away.

He said the issue at hand is alien to the Nigerian constitution and should therefore be treated with utmost care and dexterity. He hailed the governor as a humble leader who has la!d the foundation for the development of the state.

Transition committee

The transition committee set up by the governor is headed by the Secretary to the State Government, Prof. Olugbemiro Jegede. The Committee is expected to manage the process leading to the handover of power to a new administration on January 27, 2016.

“The transition committee will work with a similar committee from the APC, to ensure a smooth transition of power and to avoid any vacuum in government,” Wada said.

[Ads4]
The Governor also set up a Steering Committee to be headed by the Deputy Governor, Mr. Yomi Awoniyi.

The two committees which are expected to put the performance of the administration in clear perspectives, before the handover date, are to be inaugurated today.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL: Arsenal’s biggest win of season – Redknapp reacts to 2-0 victory over Wolves
Forum | 1 week ago

EPL: Arsenal’s biggest win of season – Redknapp reacts to 2-0 victory over Wolves

You Have Desecrated The Holy Month For Claiming Your Party’s Victory Was Stolen – Sokoto Govt Slams Tambuwal
Forum | 2 weeks ago

You Have Desecrated The Holy Month For Claiming Your Party’s Victory Was Stolen – Sokoto Govt Slams Tambuwal

Mali breaks Super Eagles’ eight-game unbeaten run after victory in Marrakech
Forum | 1 month ago

Mali breaks Super Eagles’ eight-game unbeaten run after victory in Marrakech

US Election: Trump Cruising to Victory in Republican Primaries, Wins 12 States
Forum | 1 month ago

US Election: Trump Cruising to Victory in Republican Primaries, Wins 12 States