We will not allow Social Media to be used as an instrument of blackmail- Dino Melaye

Forum 8 years ago

We will not allow Social Media to be used as an instrument of blackmail- Dino Melaye

Dino Melaye is one of the Senators in the forefront of the Social Media bill. Let me explain my stance on this. I'm not saying people should indiscriminately use social media to destroy other people's character, integrity etc. What I am saying is, they shouldn't criminalize it. If someone writes something about you that you feel is untrue, or destroyed your reputation, the courts are there. Sue them for defamation...all over the world, it's a civil case. Leave it as a civil case, why criminalize it? If they pass this bill, it means if you write something they feel is false, they will come to your house, handcuff you, put you in jail, take you to the courts, where you will be found guilty and sentenced to 2 years in prison or fine of N4million...for saying something about someone. It's not done anywhere in the world, except uncivilized third world countries.
Also, who determines what is false? It's sad that these bunch of jokers we have in the senate would even consider this...they forget they have children who also use social media. This same people used social media to enter government, now it's no longer useful to them. Quite sad.

[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Peter Obi Is Not Mixing Politics With Religion, Says Media Aide
Forum | 3 days ago

Peter Obi Is Not Mixing Politics With Religion, Says Media Aide

The Media Tries To Tarnish My Reputation - BBNaija
Forum | 4 days ago

The Media Tries To Tarnish My Reputation - BBNaija's Neo Reacts To Accusations Of Affair With Mabel Makun

Powerful Political Interests Plotting To Blackmail Peter Obi – Aide Raises Alarm
Forum | 4 days ago

Powerful Political Interests Plotting To Blackmail Peter Obi – Aide Raises Alarm

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel
Forum | 1 week ago

They Never Left Each Other - Social Media Users React To Soma’s Comment On Angel's Photo Amid Breakup Rumours