I didn’t like Pep Guardiola’s training style, was confusing – Messi

Forum 3 days ago

I didn’t like Pep Guardiola’s training style, was confusing – Messi

Lionel Messi has said he did not quite like Pep Guardiola’s method of training at Barcelona, insisting it was confusing.

The Argentina captain said he did not like how Guardiola’s tactics were taught to young kids at La Masia.

The former Barcelona star pointed out that the kids’ natural ability would be restricted as they were forced to follow a strict method.

Messi, who said this during an interview with JP Varsky on Clank Media, added that six-year-olds were taught to take two touches and play faster.

Messi is of the opinion that instead of such training, the kids should be taught to understand the game and work on their movements to find spaces instead.

The former PSG star said (via Mundo Albiceleste): “The Guardiola era was a bit confusing. … Many times, six and seven-year-old kids are already starting to be told that they have to play with two touches, to play fast, that they can’t have much of the ball.

“I think that at that age it has to be a bit like what happened to me: to teach them to better understand the game, to know how to move, to find spaces, to play quickly, but not to take away the spontaneity of each one.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
NBA: How Pep Guardiola helped me beat Dallas Mavericks – Boston Celtics boss Mazzulla
Forum | 1 week ago

NBA: How Pep Guardiola helped me beat Dallas Mavericks – Boston Celtics boss Mazzulla

“Hollywood made me feel like a ‘commodity’ after ‘Lionheart’ movie” – Genevieve Nnaji
Forum | 1 week ago

“Hollywood made me feel like a ‘commodity’ after ‘Lionheart’ movie” – Genevieve Nnaji

Messi names player who made him ‘most angry’ in his career
Forum | 1 week ago

Messi names player who made him ‘most angry’ in his career

Transfer: Why Messi snubbed €1.4bn offer from Saudi Arabian club revealed
Forum | 1 week ago

Transfer: Why Messi snubbed €1.4bn offer from Saudi Arabian club revealed