Euro 2024: Southgate should’ve used two England players against Serbia – Ferdinand

Forum 1 week ago

Euro 2024: Southgate should’ve used two England players against Serbia – Ferdinand

Former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand, has said the introduction of Kobbie Mainoo and Cole Palmer earlier on, would have given England greater control against Serbia.

The Three Lions opened their Euro 2024 campaign with a 1-0 win, thanks to Jude Bellingham’s superb header in the 13th minute.

Gareth Southgate’s men lost control of the game in the second half and Jordan Pickford had to pull off crucial saves late on.

Southgate introduced Conor Gallagher with 20 minutes left and summoned Mainoo in the 86th minute.

Chelsea midfielder, Palmer, did not get on the pitch at all.

“The game needed a bit more control,” Ferdinand told BBC One at full-time.

“Where are the players that can do that? Kobbie Mainoo maybe yes, [come on] a bit earlier if need be.

“But also someone like Cole Palmer who has got that bit of swagger and arrogance to say give me that ball. The way Tadic came on for Serbia, he came on and said “give me the ball, I will be that outlet for you guys.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Euro 2024: Our 1-1 draw with Slovakia wasn’t fixed – Romania coach, Iordanescu
Forum | 20 hours ago

Euro 2024: Our 1-1 draw with Slovakia wasn’t fixed – Romania coach, Iordanescu

Euro 2024: Top goal scorers as Round of 16 matches are confirmed [Full list]
Forum | 20 hours ago

Euro 2024: Top goal scorers as Round of 16 matches are confirmed [Full list]

Euro 2024: All Round of 16 matches confirmed [Full fixtures]
Forum | 20 hours ago

Euro 2024: All Round of 16 matches confirmed [Full fixtures]