Tyla debunks claims she’s white, says she never denied being black

Forum 1 week ago

Tyla debunks claims she’s white, says she never denied being black

A Grammy-winning South African musician, Tyla has responded to charges that she denies her black origin as she debunks being white.

Tyla stated on her X page that she has never denied her black origin, despite social media assertions.

The 22-year-old artist stated that her ancestry is a lovely blend of black/Zulu, Irish, Mauritian/Indian, and colored roots.

Tyla said that in South Africa, she is classed as a Coloured woman, yet in other areas of the world, she is regarded as black.

She acknowledged that the designation of race varies by place and culture.

Tyla stated that she recognizes the significance and weight of the term ‘Coloured’ outside of South Africa and does not expect anyone to label her as such.

Read what she wrote;

“Yoh guys, [I have] never denied my blackness, idk where that came from…

“I’m mixed with black/Zulu, irish, Mauritian/Indian and Coloured.

“In South Africa I would be classified as a Coloured woman and other places I would be classified as a black woman.

“Race is classified differently in different parts of the world.

“I don’t expect to be identified as Coloured outside of Southa by anyone not comfortable doing so because I understand the weight of that word outside of SA. But to close this conversation, I’m both Coloured in South Africa and a black woman.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Net Worth Of Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Forum | 3 days ago

Net Worth Of Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Whitemoney gets crucified over 150 staff claim
Forum | 4 days ago

Whitemoney gets crucified over 150 staff claim

The Boys Season 4’s Eric Kripke Reveals if Black Noir Is Homelander’s Clone
Forum | 4 days ago

The Boys Season 4’s Eric Kripke Reveals if Black Noir Is Homelander’s Clone

Gladiator 2 Will Have ‘Biggest Action Sequences Ever Put on Film’ Claims Paramount Exec
Forum | 4 days ago

Gladiator 2 Will Have ‘Biggest Action Sequences Ever Put on Film’ Claims Paramount Exec