Euro 2024: Too much individual quality – Paul Merson names teams to win trophy

Forum 2 weeks ago

Euro 2024: Too much individual quality – Paul Merson names teams to win trophy

Former Arsenal man, Paul Merson has ranked the five teams he believes could win the Euro 2024 championship.

The Euro 2024 championship will resume in Germany next weekend after a little break from European club football.

Twenty-four teams will look to pip one another for the continental kingship.

And Merson is of the opinion that Belgium and current champions, Spain won’t be contesting for the trophy.

“I’m going to omit Belgium and Spain from my top five as I believe the teams that I’ve chosen stand a much better chance of making it through to the business end of Euro 2024,” the Englishman said, according to Sportskeeda.

“Belgium’s golden generation is done and they’ve disappointed me every time in a major tournament.

“Similarly, this is hardly the best Spain squad we’ve seen in recent years.

He, therefore ranked Italy at number five, saying, “Italy are always solid at the back but I doubt that will be enough if they are to become a force to be reckoned with in the knockout.”

He put Portugal at number four, saying Portugal are an aging team but they have a lot of experience within the squad. “There’s too much individual quality for them not to gel together as a unit, so I think they’ll fare quite well at Euro 2024,” he added.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Euro 2024: Gary Neville predicts two changes Southgate will make for England vs Slovenia
Forum | 2 days ago

Euro 2024: Gary Neville predicts two changes Southgate will make for England vs Slovenia

Euro 2024: Proud of this team – Ronaldo reacts to Portugal’s 3-0 win over Turkey
Forum | 2 days ago

Euro 2024: Proud of this team – Ronaldo reacts to Portugal’s 3-0 win over Turkey

Euro 2024: Ronaldo sets new record as Portugal crush Turkey 3-0
Forum | 2 days ago

Euro 2024: Ronaldo sets new record as Portugal crush Turkey 3-0

Euro 2024: Patrik Schick overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane’s goals record
Forum | 2 days ago

Euro 2024: Patrik Schick overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane’s goals record