Reps to Consider Creation of 3 New States in South-West

Forum 2 months ago

Reps to Consider Creation of 3 New States in South-West

The House of Representatives has proposed the creation of three new states in the South-West

The proposal is being sponsored by the lawmaker representing Obokun/Oriade Federal Constituency, Osun State, Oluwole Oke.

The suggested legislation aims to establish separate states, namely- Oke-Ogun, Ijebu, and Ife-Ijesa.

It is named “A Bill for an Act to modify the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as revised)”.

The proposed idea is to make changes to the First Schedule, Part I of the Constitution.

According to the proposed bill, Oke-Ogun State, with Iseyin as its capital city, would consist of a total of 12 local government areas, including Olorunsogo, Irepo, Oorerelope, Ogbomosho North, Ogbomosho South, Saki-East, Saki-West, Atisbo, Itesiwaju, Iwajowa, Kajola, and Iseyin.

Ijebu State, when formed, will consist of Ijebu East, Ijebu North-East, Ijebu Ode, Ikenne, Odogbolu, Ogun Waterside, Remo North and Sagamu LGAs. The proposed capital city for Ijebu State is Ijebu Ode.

Ife Ijesa State is to be made of 11 LGAs made up of Atakunmosa East, Atakunmosa West, Boluwaduro, Ife Central, Ife East, Ife North, Ife South, Ilesa East, Ilesa West, Oboku and Oriade.

In a letter directed to the Clerk of the House, dated February 6, 2024, Oke said: “I wish to forward the above mentioned bill to your office for further necessary legislative action to enable me move same in our great Green Chamber, sir.”

The South-West region in Nigeria comprises six states, namely Ondo, Oyo, Lagos, Ogun, Osun, and Ekiti.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement
Forum | 18 hours ago

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth
Forum | 1 day ago

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins
Forum | 1 day ago

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins