EPL: ‘My mum wasn’t happy’ – Kalvin Phillips slams Guardiola’s overweight comment again

Forum 2 months ago

EPL: ‘My mum wasn’t happy’ – Kalvin Phillips slams Guardiola’s overweight comment again

England international Kalvin Phillips has slammed Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola over a comment about him being overweight.

The Manchester City midfielder joined West Ham on loan this January after the two Premier League clubs reached an agreement.

Phillips made only 31 appearances under Pep Guardiola since a £45 million move from Leeds in July 2022.

In December, Guardiola admitted that he cannot envisage the England midfielder in his team.

He accused the England international of growing fat which is to say that the player does not train as required.

Phillips had before now expressed displeasure over the comment when he spoke with BBC and in a quote shared by football expert, Fabrizio Romano on Sunday, the midfielder said the manager’s comment did not sit well with his mum.

When Pep came out and said I was overweight, he was right to do so, but there are different ways to go about it,” he said.

“I did not disagree but it took a big knock on my confidence. My family were not happy about it, either. Especially my mum.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama
Forum | 2 days ago

Pulse Cast: Happy Death Day Star & More Join Netflix’s First Medical Drama

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s unacceptable – Ten Hag reacts to Man Utd’s 4-2 win over Sheffield Utd

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Liverpool’s title ambition takes hit with 2-0 defeat to Everton