Falana Asks ECOWAS to Sanction Senegalese President for Postponing Elections

Forum 2 months ago

Falana Asks ECOWAS to Sanction Senegalese President for Postponing Elections

Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, SAN, has cjhallenged the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, to impose sanctions on Senegal.

According to him, ECOWAS should impose travel bans and asset freezes on President Macky Sall of Senegal and officials of his government for postponing the presidential election.

Falana said ECOWAS should urgently organise an extra-ordinary session to discuss and respond to the deteriorating human rights and rule of law situation in the country.

The call followed Sall’s decision to call off this month’s elections, citing a row over the eligibility of candidates.

Falana stated that the postponement of the elections suggests a deliberate ploy by Sall to manipulate the country’s Constitution.

According to him, this is in order to hold on to power against the will of the people and popular aspirations.

“Imposing targeted sanctions on Mr Sall and officials of his government is consistent with the provisions of ECOWAS treaties and protocols including article 45 (2) of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance,” Falana said in a statement.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
N80.2bn Fraud: Kogi Assembly Defends Yahaya Bello, Asks EFCC to Obey Court Order
Forum | 3 days ago

N80.2bn Fraud: Kogi Assembly Defends Yahaya Bello, Asks EFCC to Obey Court Order

President Tinubu Attends African Counter-Terrorism Summit In Abuja
Forum | 4 days ago

President Tinubu Attends African Counter-Terrorism Summit In Abuja

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 1 week ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu
Forum | 1 week ago

Publish Loan Agreements By Obasanjo, Yar’Adua, Jonathan And Buhari - Serap Tells President Tinubu