AFCON: Why I allowed Troost-Ekong take penalty against Ivory Coast – Victor Osimhen

Forum 3 months ago

AFCON: Why I allowed Troost-Ekong take penalty against Ivory Coast – Victor Osimhen

Super Eagles Striker, Victor Osimhen has explained his decision to allow captain William Troost-Ekong to take a penalty during Nigeria’s 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, win over Ivory Coast on Thursday.

Osimhen won a penalty during the encounter after he was fouled in the box.

Many expected the Napoli attacker, who is the Super Eagles’ number one penalty taker to take the spot-kick against the host.

However, it was Troost-Ekong who stepped forward and converted the spot-kick to give the Super Eagles a 1-0 win over Ivory Coast.

Asked about the decision to allow Troost-Ekong take the penalty against Ivory Coast, whether it was his decision or head coach Jose Peseiro’s instruction, Osimhen said at the post-match press conference:

“It was the coach. He wanted me to take it but I have to respect it, he’s the captain.

“For me, I really don’t mind who takes the penalty or who scores for the team. I want the team to win. I want the team to progress so this is the most important thing for me.”

Osimhen will now hope to lead Nigeria to victory when they face Guinea-Bissau in their final Group A tie on Monday.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Why Wike Was Allowed Into PDP National Caucus Meeting - Senate Minority Leader, Moro Speaks
Forum | 5 days ago

Why Wike Was Allowed Into PDP National Caucus Meeting - Senate Minority Leader, Moro Speaks

Bundesliga: Victor Boniface targets treble with Bayer Leverkusen
Forum | 1 week ago

Bundesliga: Victor Boniface targets treble with Bayer Leverkusen

Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria
Forum | 1 week ago

Oliseh names Super Eagles player that will win AFCON for Nigeria

Victor Boniface emerges Super Eagles’ next superstar in the making
Forum | 2 weeks ago

Victor Boniface emerges Super Eagles’ next superstar in the making