AFCON 2023: ‘You’re not patriotic’ – Seun Kuti blasts Super Eagles players

Forum 3 months ago

AFCON 2023: ‘You’re not patriotic’ – Seun Kuti blasts Super Eagles players

Grammy-nominated afrobeat singer, Seun Kuti has identified a lack of patriotism as the reason for the poor form of Nigerian players at the national level.

He lamented that most Super Eagles players perform well at their clubs but don’t show the same commitment when they come to the national team.

According to him, the excuses of not performing well due to lack of financial motivation is baseless, as most of the players are multi-millionaires who don’t need to be paid by the national football body, Nigerian Football Federation, NFF.

The singer stated this while reacting to Super Eagles’ disappointing 1-1 draw with Equatorial Guinea in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

Speaking in a video message shared via his Instagram page, Kuti said: “Nigerian footballers are not patriotic. I don’t care what anybody says. They are more interested in their oyibo clubs and the glams. They are not patriotic.

“They might say it is because the national football body doesn’t treat them well. Africa doesn’t treat anyone well. But it’s our duty to do well for Africa because it is ours. So those excuses that they are being owed are irrelevant. You guys are multi-millionaires. How much is NFF going to pay you? Even if they pay you, you won’t take it home. It’s nothing to you.

“I watched Super Eagles last game. Do you guys watch the Euros and World Cup? Don’t you see how European teams enter fields? Don’t you see how focused their players are? Even Nigerian footballers, when they are at their clubs, they are always focused. But when they come to the Nations’ Cup, they are unserious. African footballers are the craziest of athletes. I’m sorry to say this.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti
Forum | 4 days ago

I’m Only Artist Who Stops People From Spraying Me – Seun Kuti

Who Be Your Papa? – Nollywood Actor, Emeka Ike Blasts Alleged Son Who Left School For Music
Forum | 1 week ago

Who Be Your Papa? – Nollywood Actor, Emeka Ike Blasts Alleged Son Who Left School For Music

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United
Forum | 3 days ago

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United

The Coffee Table Digital Release Date Set for Super Dark Comedy
Forum | 1 week ago

The Coffee Table Digital Release Date Set for Super Dark Comedy