AFCON 2023: Money, club vs country fights – A preview

Forum 3 months ago

AFCON 2023: Money, club vs country fights – A preview

To be very honest, Nigerians were not very keen on the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations until it was confirmed the tournament will be televised live.

In the space of 24 hours, both the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA, and DSTV (owners of GoTV), announced they will broadcast all 52 fixtures.

Anything other than this would have been very low, as the alternative would have been to buy a StarTimes decoder or invest in high volume Internet for streaming in this crippling economy.

“The absence of AFCON on DSTV would have represented a significant setback for the tournament’s viewership.

“DSTV holds a substantial share of the market, particularly in football viewership,” Steve Dede, the immediate past Sports Editor at Pulse told DAILY POST.

Prior to the announcements, Dede had warned that “as it stands, AFCON may not possess the appeal to prompt individuals to invest in an additional satellite service.

“This circumstance dampens the excitement surrounding the event, evident in the relatively low hype even just four days before its commencement.

“The lack of awareness among the public about the AFCON further underscores the impact. DSTV could have played a pivotal role by advertising the tournament to its football subscribers, potentially boosting interest and engagement.”

So, yes. The fans are all set for this year’s AFCON.

The players- at least most of them are in Ivory Coast, as the competition kicks off this Saturday.

The debate on whether January/February is the best time for the tournament, as invitations of players cause tension between club and country, is still ongoing.

Manchester United goalkeeper, Andre Onana, will start Sunday’s Premier League fixture against Tottenham, as his team seeks to climb up the table into Champions League spots.

“That sends such a bad message, not only for Cameroon, but for the respect people will have for the Africa Cup of Nations and for the way they should treat us, the equality,” Sebastien Bassong, a former Cameroon defender, told the BBC this week.

“If we don’t even respect ourselves how can you expect other people to treat you any differently?

“I like Andre, I will always have his back when I have to, but when things like that happen…the nation, the pride of the country and the continent is way above an individual person.”

Angola striker, M’Bala Nzola, reportedly rejected an invite for the 2023 AFCON.

The Fiorentina forward was named in Pedro Goncalves’ final squad for the tournament.

But despite playing a key role in qualification, Nzola will not be part of the team heading to Ivory Coast.

According to Palancas Negras, Nzola rejected the call-up in order to concentrate on his club career in Italy.

This is the second time the player has refused an invite, citing poor logistical arrangements as his reason for missing the final round of games in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

Dede believes the Confederation of African Football, CAF, should be more flexible with their scheduling.

He said: “Regarding the timing of AFCON, I urge CAF to consistently prioritize both their organization and the African game.

“I believe the schedule should remain flexible, allowing for the tournament to be hosted at the most suitable time, taking into account the host country’s preferences and favorable weather conditions.

“The argument against factoring in weather conditions lacks validity. CAF must consider weather as an integral element, given that football is ideally played under optimal conditions, including favorable weather.

“Hosting AFCON at the right time ensures the best experience for players and fans alike.”

CAF might find it difficult to be flexible however, as they only compete for eyeballs and TV money with the less-fancied Asian Cup at this time of the year, instead of the Euros or Copa America in June/July.

The money from sponsorship, for instance, has seen CAF increase the AFCON prize money for the 2023 edition.

The winner of the biennial competition will go home with $7m. The runners-up will now get $4m, while each of the two semi-finalists will receive $2,500,000. Each of the four quarter-finalists will get $1,300,000.

Despite the issues- resolved and unresolved, the AFCON is set to thrill viewers with the very best of African football.

Defending champions, Senegal, World Cup semi-finalists, Morocco and record winners Egypt are all in contention, as are other traditional African powerhouses like Nigeria, Algeria and Ghana.

The competition could also record another major shock as 2012 winners Zambia and 2013 finalists Burkina Faso also feature this year.

Let the games begin!

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute
Forum | 2 days ago

Seyi Law Lays Curses On X User Who Accused Him Of Leaving A Club With A Pr*stitute

Son Arrested For Faking His Own Kidnap To Extort Money From Father In Jigawa
Forum | 3 days ago

Son Arrested For Faking His Own Kidnap To Extort Money From Father In Jigawa

I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim
Forum | 6 days ago

I’ve Reported The Case To Police — Skiibii Denies TikToker Nickie Dabarbie’s Money Ritual Claim

Herbalist And Three Others Who Killed A Woman For Money Ritual Get Nabbed In Osun
Forum | 6 days ago

Herbalist And Three Others Who Killed A Woman For Money Ritual Get Nabbed In Osun