I Feel Extremely Happy - Kano Gov Yusuf Reacts To Supreme Court Verdict

Forum 3 months ago

I Feel Extremely Happy - Kano Gov Yusuf Reacts To Supreme Court Verdict

Abba Yusuf, the Governor of Kano State Governor has broken his silence after the Supreme Court on Friday affirmed his election.

Reacting, he said he's extremely happy with the verdict.

Briefing reporters at the venue of the apex court in Abuja, the governor said the contentious 165,616 ballot papers have been claimed to have emanated from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

“I am extremely happy with the judgement of the Supreme Court that took place today, January 12, 2024. I feel extremely happy, as you can see, so many people are happy and cheering,” he stated.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court restored Yusuf’s votes that were cancelled by the Court of Appeal and the Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal on the basis that the ballot papers were not signed.

Justice John Okoro, who read the lead Judgement, said the Court of Appeal was wrong in affirming the decision of the tribunal, which held that Yusuf did not win the majority of lawful votes cast in the governorship election of March 18, 2023.

In the judgement, Justice Okoro held that the tribunal was wrong in deducting 165,616 votes accrued to Yusuf in the election because the ballot papers were not signed and stamped by officials of INEC.

When asked about his position on the lower court’s deduction of his votes, Governor Yusuf said the apex court’s position is that there is no illegality regarding the March 18, 2023 governorship election.

“The Supreme Court has confirmed that there is no illegality as far as the election is concerned. They were saying illegal ballot papers. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has confirmed that the ballot papers belong to them, they were issued by them.

“The Supreme Court justices have just confirmed also that there is no illegality, so people are aware.”

The governor said he feels justified with the apex court’s decision on his electoral victory last year, saying the controversy trailing the election has been set aside.

He commended the people of Kano State for supporting his administration within the past seven months as well as Nigerians across the world who stood by him.

“I feel justified, I feel that issue has been set aside because there was no justification whatsoever. Well, my good people, the first thing is to say a big thank you to everybody for all the support, and prayers that have been rendered for the last seven months of our administration.

“I just want to say a very big thank you to everybody, not only Kano State people but the entire good people of Nigeria as well as other people across the globe,” Yusuf said.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Night Court Season 3 Set for NBC Comedy Series
Forum | 20 hours ago

Night Court Season 3 Set for NBC Comedy Series

Court Adjourns Emefiele’s Trial Till May 9 As EFCC Files Additional Evidence
Forum | 1 day ago

Court Adjourns Emefiele’s Trial Till May 9 As EFCC Files Additional Evidence

May Edochie Reacts as Rita Edochie Shades Women Who Snatch People’s Husbands
Forum | 1 day ago

May Edochie Reacts as Rita Edochie Shades Women Who Snatch People’s Husbands