Thierry Henry opens up on mental struggles

Forum 3 months ago

Thierry Henry opens up on mental struggles

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has opened up about the mental struggles he experienced during his time as a footballer.

The former France international revealed that he battled depression throughout his career.

According to Henry, things got even worse during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Speaking on the Diary of a CEO podcast, the former Barcelona attacker said: “Throughout my career, and since I was born, I must have been in depression.

“Did I know it? No. Did I do something about it? No. But I adapted to a certain way. That doesn’t mean I’m walking straight but I’m walking.

“You’ve got to put one foot [forward] and another one and walk. That is what I’ve been told since I was young.”

“I never stopped walking, then maybe I would have realised. [But during] COVID, I stopped walking. I couldn’t. Then you start to realise.”

Henry added: “[I was] crying almost every day for no reason. Tears were coming alone. Why, I don’t know, but maybe they were there for a very long time. Technically, it wasn’t me, it was the young me [crying for] everything he didn’t get: approval.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
UCL: Well done – Thierry Henry hails Sancho for overcoming mental struggles at Manchester United
Forum | 14 hours ago

UCL: Well done – Thierry Henry hails Sancho for overcoming mental struggles at Manchester United

UCL: Why Real Madrid are dominating Champions League – Thierry Henry
Forum | 1 day ago

UCL: Why Real Madrid are dominating Champions League – Thierry Henry

Henry Cavill’s Superman Exit Wasn’t Pre-Planned, James Gunn Says
Forum | 2 days ago

Henry Cavill’s Superman Exit Wasn’t Pre-Planned, James Gunn Says

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler
Forum | 5 days ago

LaLiga: Ancelotti opens up on future of Real Madrid’s wonderkid, Arda Guler