Governor Adeleke Orders Probe of College of Education Provost’s Suspension

Forum 3 months ago

Governor Adeleke Orders Probe of College of Education Provost’s Suspension

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke has given an order to investigate the suspension of Professor Jimoh Afolabi, the Provost of the Osun State College of Education, Ila-Orangun.

Recall that the Governing Council of the institution, chaired by Peter Babalola, suspended Afolabi over allegations of misappropriation.

In a statement to that effect, the suspension is to allow proper investigation into the infractions levelled against the Provost as he was also accused of concealing documents to frustrate the effort of the Governing Council.

“Please refer to the letter with Reference NO. OSSCE/LR/GCIP/001/1, dated 3rd January 2024, inviting you to appear before the Governing Council’s Investigative Panel on account of the various infractions levelled against you at the Council’s meeting held on Tuesday, 21st November 2023, following which a vote of no confidence was passed on you.

“Consequent on the above developments, Council, at its meeting of Monday, 8th January 2023 considered the need to suspend you from exercising the functions of your office to allow for proper investigations intobthe infractions levelled against you.

“Hinged on the above, and in accordance with Section 32.3 (a&b) of thebCollege Edict, you are hereby suspended from exercising the functions of your office pending the final determination of your case,” the letter read.

The statement directed Afolabi to hand over all college properties in his custody to the Deputy Provost and vacate the college premises with immediate effect.

It also prohibited him from entering into the college or any of its facilities except by invitation from the Governing Council.

However on Tuesday, in a statement signed by Adeleke’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, the governor’s Chief of Staff was directed to lead a small committee to investigate the matter.

“The Committee also included the Secretary to the State Government and Commissioner for Education among others to host a crisis resolution meeting between the school management and the Governing Council,” he said.

Reacting to accusations and counter-accusations between the Chairman of the Governing Council and the College Provost, Adeleke directed the committee to look into the subject of controversies and ensure amicable resolution of the crisis.

“I have read various statements and allegations emanating from Ila Orangun College of Education. I have also been briefed about the conflict between the school management and the college Governing Council. The Committee is hereby directed to call a meeting of both parties.

“The Committee is to review all issues including questions of financial malpractices within the College system and propose a comprehensive accountability and transparency system.

“Let me warn that anybody implicated in any wrongdoing, financial mismanagement or corrupt conduct will face heavy sanction. I announce that I will not shield anybody no matter how highly placed.

“The committee is expected to report their findings and recommendations to the Governor within two weeks,” the statement concluded.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns
Forum | 3 days ago

Governor Mbah Trying to Create Crisis in Enugu – IPOB Warns

Probe Wike, Other Former Governors Under Buhari For Corruption - Timi Frank Urges EFCC
Forum | 3 days ago

Probe Wike, Other Former Governors Under Buhari For Corruption - Timi Frank Urges EFCC

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC
Forum | 3 days ago

Stop Intimidating Me, Obey Court Orders - Yahaya Bello Tells EFCC

Al ma
Forum | 5 days ago

Al ma'arif College of Nursing ND/HND Nursing amission, 2024/2025