Gunmen Suspected To Be Terrorists Attack Enugu Community, Kill Two Residents Who Came Home For Christmas

Forum 3 months ago

Gunmen Suspected To Be Terrorists Attack Enugu Community, Kill Two Residents Who Came Home For Christmas

Some men who were armed with guns, and who are suspected to be terrorists have launched another attack in Agu-Amede community in Eha-Amufu, Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State.

The deadly attack resulted in the killing of two young men who came for a Christmas celebration.

The attack, SaharaReporters gathered on Wednesday, took place Thursday, 29 December 2023 at Ishiador village very close to Odoba village.

SaharaReporters had reported that communities in Eha-Amufu town including Agu-Amede, Mgbuji, and Abor, among others witnessed large-scale attacks in 2021 and 2022 by Fulani herders in collaboration with Benue State militias.

Over 152 persons were killed and over 20 farm settlements were sacked with their properties burnt.

The attacks, however, were rescinded during the February and March 2023 general elections and the subsequent handover of power to a Southerner.

However, the residents who are still in shock told SaharaReporters that Thursday's attack left two of their young men brutally killed.

A community leader, Chief Ephraim Oguru who confirmed the attack, said that his brother was one of the victims.

Oguru while narrating the incident to SaharaReporters accused the Fulani herders occupying a large expanse of their farmland of being responsible. "The people who killed the two boys are Fulani herders," he said.

He said, "We are still confused as we don't know yet the reason for the attack. This incident happened on Thursday, December 29, 2023. One of those killed is Mr Oliver Ede, he is my brother. We are from the same family, Umuata kindred.

"The other person I don't know his name but I think he came from Ikpakpara village and this attack happened at Ishiador village very close to Odoba village. He came to his master place who hails from the village for settlement after years of apprenticeship. They returned from Northern Nigeria where he learned the trade from his master or 'oga' and he was killed.

"They were partying at the village when the assailants stormed and immediately opened fire on the crowd. Unfortunately, the apprentice and my brother were killed instantly. Other people were wounded."

On whether the attack might be an insider job to prevent the settlement, he said "no", until investigation proves otherwise.

"People were many in the place and assailants stormed and opened fire on the gathering. The people were celebrating that they returned home from across the country without problem before the assailants stormed. However, it is now left for security agencies especially the police to find out whether it was a case of targeted assassination.

"We informed the police and some operatives came to see things for themselves. Unfortunately, after moving around the community they left and haven't returned."

Meanwhile, SaharaReporters' efforts to get the reaction of the Enugu State Police Command were unsuccessful as the Command's spokesperson DSP Daniel Ndukwe did not take his calls or respond to a text message at the time of filing this report.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
CONAMKAT List of candidates admitted into Community Midwifery programme, 2024 intake
Forum | 1 hour ago

CONAMKAT List of candidates admitted into Community Midwifery programme, 2024 intake

Charlie Day and Allison Williams to Star in Murder Mystery Movie Kill Me
Forum | 21 hours ago

Charlie Day and Allison Williams to Star in Murder Mystery Movie Kill Me

Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara
Forum | 22 hours ago

Commotion As Bandits Strike Again, Kill Four, Abduct Six In Zamfara

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 22 hours ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush