EPL: Why I returned to Old Trafford – Ex-Man Utd striker, Van Persie

Forum 3 months ago

EPL: Why I returned to Old Trafford – Ex-Man Utd striker, Van Persie

Former Manchester United striker, Robin van Persie has explained why he was at Old Trafford to watch his old club beat Aston Villa 3-2 in the Premier League on Christmas Boxing Day.

Recall that Man United came from 2-0 down to beat Aston Villa at Old Trafford.

A brace from Alejandro Garnacho and a goal from Rasmus Hojlund gave Erik ten Hag’s side the victory.

However, with Sir Jim Ratcliffe taking over as the new minority owner, it was speculated that Van Persie’s presence meant that he would imminently succeed Ten Hag the Old Trafford helm.

But the 40-year-old told MUTV as per Mirror that his trip to Old Trafford was a pre-planned one, dismissing reports that he is set to take over from his compatriot.

“Obviously, it was a bit of a coincidence that I am here now with my wife and friends,” Van Persie said.

“When I looked at the schedule I was like if I can pick that game, I will pick that game because of course our sort of shared memories we have against Villa.

“It was one of the most special nights personally as a Manchester United player. Villa is doing well this year so it’s a nice game to watch.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Iwobi guns for 250th appearance as Fulham host Crystal Palace
Forum | 7 mins ago

EPL: Iwobi guns for 250th appearance as Fulham host Crystal Palace

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash
Forum | 36 mins ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race
Forum | 38 mins ago

EPL: Arteta reveals what Wenger told him about title race