Godzilla Minus One Director Wants to Make a Sequel With Some Familiar Characters

Forum 4 months ago 1

Godzilla Minus One Director Wants to Make a Sequel With Some Familiar Characters

Godzilla Minus One director Takashi Yamazaki is open to making a sequel with some returning characters from the 2023 film.

Speaking at a Q&A session hosted by Movie Walker, per ComicBook.com, Yamazaki was asked if he’d be willing to tackle another Godzilla project, either as a direct sequel to 2023’s Godzilla Minus One or something entirely new.

Yamazaki answered, “My honest feelings, I would like to see a continuation of those people’s story. If I could make it [A Godzilla Minus One sequel], I would like to make a movie that involves what happens to them after that.”

What is Godzilla Minus One about?

“Post war Japan is at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster, baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb,” reads the official synopsis of the film.

Written and directed by Yamazaki, who previously contributed to the visual effects for 2016’s Shin Godzilla, Godzilla Minus One stars Ryunosuke Kamiki, Minami Hamabe, Yuki Yamada, Munetaka Aoki, Hidetaka Yoshioka, Sakura Ando, and Kuranosuke Sasaki.

On December 19, 2023, Yamazaki released a statement announcement that a black-and-white version of Godzilla Minus One, Godzilla Minus One/C, will debut in Japan on January 12, 2024 “We are now able to announce Godzilla-1.0/C, which we have been working on for a long time. Rather than just making it monochrome, it is a cut by cut, I had them make adjustments while making full use of various mattes, as if they were creating a new movie,” Yamazaki stated, per Fangoria. “What I was aiming for was a style that looked like it was taken by masters of monochrome photography. We were able to unearth the texture of the skin and the details of the scenery that were hidden in the photographed data. Then, a frightening Godzilla, just like the one in the documentary, appeared. By eliminating color, a new sense of reality emerges. Please live and resist further fear at the theater.”

While there’s no word yet on whether Godzilla Minus One/C will be coming to United States theaters anytime soon, the colorized version of the movie is currently playing in theaters.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Rebel Moon Part 3 Status Uncertain, Actor Shares Sequel Update
Forum | 2 days ago

Rebel Moon Part 3 Status Uncertain, Actor Shares Sequel Update

Godzilla x Kong’s Box Office Demolishes Godzilla vs. Kong’s Global Total
Forum | 4 days ago

Godzilla x Kong’s Box Office Demolishes Godzilla vs. Kong’s Global Total