AFCON 2023: ‘Nwabili will be part of Super Eagles squad’ – Chippa United coach Mammila

Forum 4 months ago

AFCON 2023: ‘Nwabili will be part of Super Eagles squad’ – Chippa United coach Mammila

Chippa United head coach Morgan Mammila is certain Stanley Nwabili will be part of Nigeria’s squad for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.

The goalkeeper hopes to gatecrash into Nigeria’s squad for the competition after strong performances for Chippa United in the DStv Premiership this season.

Nwabili has kept seven clean sheets in 13 league outings for the Chilli Boyz.

The 27-year-old’s impressive displays have caught the eye of Super Eagles head coach Jose Peseiro, who was at the club last weekend to assess the shot-stopper.

Peseiro was in the stands when Chippa United defeated Golden Arrows 2-0 at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium last Saturday.

Mammila believed Nwabili had done enough to be included in the Super Eagles squad for AFCON 2023.

“The way Stanley plays, he is in (AFCON finals squad),” Mammila told IdiskiTimes.

“I expect him to be at AFCON. The only problem is, we are going to lose Stanley. If he plays like this at AFCON, I’m telling you Stanley may not come back [from] the AFCON.

“Me and my friend (chairman), Chippa Mpengesi, we don’t waste time if there is an offer on the table; we allow that player (to leave). That’s who we are. He is a gentleman. That’s why he has allowed Morgan to coach his team.”

Nwabili has been capped once at international level by Nigeria.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Euro 2024: UEFA to increase squad size to 26 players
Forum | 4 days ago

Euro 2024: UEFA to increase squad size to 26 players

The Coffee Table Digital Release Date Set for Super Dark Comedy
Forum | 1 week ago

The Coffee Table Digital Release Date Set for Super Dark Comedy

Superman Cast: DCU Movie Finds Its Martha Kent
Forum | 1 week ago

Superman Cast: DCU Movie Finds Its Martha Kent