My Poor Background Propels My Quest For Success – Sabinus Says

Forum 4 months ago

My Poor Background Propels My Quest For Success – Sabinus Says

Emmanuel Chukwuemeka, the popular skit comedian and rising artiste in the Nigerian entertainment space, who is well known as Sabinus (The Investor), has explained that he comes from a very poor family and that is what drives his quest for success.

The Ikwerre speaking comedian from Rivers State also explained in this interview that drug is the major factor affecting and derailing the youths today, pointing out that he neither uses drugs nor alcohol. Excerpts

You are in Jos for your colleague’s show, who is also a skit comedian, Funny Gee. How do you feel being in Jos – the ‘Home of Peace and Tourism’?

This is my first time of being in Jos, the Plateau State capital. Since I was born, I have only been hearing the name Jos but I have never been here. I am happy with what I have seen so far. The city is really peaceful and quiet.

Jos is known to be the home of entertainment. What is your take on that?

First of all, Jos has produced so many talents; that is something that cannot be hidden. The likes of Ice Prince, M.I, 2 Face Idibia and so many others came from this axis of Nigeria (Jos). That is why I have great respect for the place. Even at the Funny Gee’s show titled ‘Hit the Ground Running’, I said that a land like Jos which produced such talents is a blessed land.

Tell us about your colleague, Funny Gee, who brought you to Jos for the first time?

Funny G is someone I have been watching a lot, right from the time he was doing the kidnapper shooting. That video was very funny and I’ve known him since then. We have been chatting a lot online and then one day he told me ‘Boss, I will bring you to Jos’ and I thought he was joking. But today he has done it, and I must say he has done well. The show was awesome. I have never been to a show where I laughed so hard like that. Jos truly has so many talents.

Going forward, is there any plan to partner with him?

Already, there was a plan to bring my show to Jos before Funny Gee brought his own. I even told him that he is smarter for outsmarting me, that is with respect to coming to Jos. I’ve told myself that I will be doing something in Jos next year. I don’t know how it will look like but I will definitely do something in Jos next year because the audience and everything is amazing, I must say.

This is a new kind of audience I have never seen before. They were composed, no case of violence and everywhere was calm. And after the programme, they all went home peacefully.

The entertainment industry is somehow a youth-based industry. What is your advice to the youths?

Well, there is something that has become a hindrance to the youths today, and that is drugs and smoking of substances. All these things have become a problem among our youths for a very long time now, but people seem not to think of it as a problem. It is a very big problem because I have seen a situation where I young vibrant youths start taking things that are beyond them and it derailed them.

Use and abuse of drugs and others substances really affect many of them in the long run. That is why I cannot be a fan of smoking or alcohol. My father always tells me that it’s better to be at alert so that when trouble comes, you will be able to point out the problem, identify it and tackle it because your eyes are very clear.

Also, the government should do everything possible to curtail drug use and abuse because there are still generations to come. If this generation is like this, what are we going to say about the generations after this one?

What do you have to tell upcoming entertainers?

You know, different things can work for people, but there is something that worked for me which I always tell people about, and that is being hardworking and always looking back to where one is coming from.

I am not from a rich family and my dad doesn’t have a dime. There was no time my father had enough. But I always tell myself that since my dad doesn’t have, I will have. That is why I strive to be successful and to change my family narrative.

So, always remind yourself of where you are coming from and do things that will make you better. Also, don’t do more than your limit. If for instance you can afford something worth more than N100,000, go for it. But if you know you cannot afford it, don’t be pressured. There is no need for pressure. Every man has his time. You might not be popular till someday when you will. The little you have, use it according to your capability, and make sure you remain relevant.

What else can one do to excel in their chosen career?

Be hardworking and don’t forget to be consistent. Also, hold on to God no matter what you do. I don’t go to Church as much, but as much as I can, I try to make sure I sow seed (giving/offering) in the House of God. I don’t joke with it and that worked for me. There are times I go to the extent of buying land for Church and all that. I do it not because I am a successful Christian, but I do it because I have my quiet time with God, and I remind God of what I have done for him and what I want Him to do for me. God is a considerate father, and that is my story.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 1 day ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’
Forum | 3 days ago

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday
Forum | 3 days ago

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’
Forum | 4 days ago

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’