Illbliss Slams Rapper Phenom Over Disrespectful Comment About Mode 9

Forum 4 months ago

Illbliss Slams Rapper Phenom Over Disrespectful Comment About Mode 9

Nigerian rapper, Illbliss has lambasted rapper, Phenom over a comment he made about, veteran musician, Mode 9.

Phenom had in an interview said he didn’t see Mode 9 as a role model but, instead, wants commercial success.

Phenom talked about visiting Phyno’s house and said he also wants to own luxury cars.

He criticised those who associate hip-hop with baggy jeans and described the trend as a “mental problem”.

“I do not see Mode 9 as someone I want to be like. I would rather be somebody that is commercially successful,” Phenom said.

“I was at Phyno’s house two days ago. I want to have Phantoms parked in my house as well.

“I am not trying to be someone that wears baggy jeans and just be ‘o hip hop’. No, that is a mental problem.”

In response, Illbliss took to Twitter where he condemned Phenom’s statement.

He said even Phyno would never disrespect the pioneers who paved the way for him, regardless of material wealth.

Illbliss emphasised Mode 9’s status as a “living legend” and commended his contributions to hip-hop.

“Really truly disappointed, Phenom. Mode9 is a living legend, alive and well, incredibly decorated and respected for his contributions to Hiphop culture. I hate the disregard!” IllBliss wrote in part.

Mode 9 is regarded as a pioneer of Nigerian rap; his first album came in 2004 and his most recent in 2018.

But the waning influence of rap music, relative to Afropop, has remained a recurring industry discourse.

In turn, Illbliss, who is a Nigerian hip-hop sensation himself, is widely known for his Igbo rap lines.

In 2022, he shared his thoughts on artiste longevity and rap culture in Nigeria.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest
Forum | 1 day ago

Rapper Sentenced to Death for Supporting Anti-Hijab Protest

Illbliss Remembers Late Indigenous Rapper, Dagrin
Forum | 1 day ago

Illbliss Remembers Late Indigenous Rapper, Dagrin

I’m Tired of Reading Your Dumb Advice - Femi Adebayo’s Wife Slams Online Aunties
Forum | 3 days ago

I’m Tired of Reading Your Dumb Advice - Femi Adebayo’s Wife Slams Online Aunties

Singer, Portable Slams Wife, Bewaji, For Not Including Him In Her Birthday Message To Herself
Forum | 5 days ago

Singer, Portable Slams Wife, Bewaji, For Not Including Him In Her Birthday Message To Herself